Ballymena Mayor, Cllr Audrey Wales has extended congratulations to various individuals, businesses and groups in the borough on achievements attained during the past month.
At Council’s February monthly meeting, she commended:
* Cullybackey Health Centre General Practitioner, Dr Hunter on being named Medical Leader of the Year at the Institute of Healthcare Management Award in recognition of his work with the Farming Families Health Check Project.
* Staff involved in organising the Ballymena Sports Awards, in particular, Sports Development Officer Katrina McCaughan, all those nominated for awards and those who were successful in each of the 10 categories, Cllr James McClean for his part in the proceedings, and compere, Jackie Fullerton.
* Ballymena amateur golfer Dermot McElroy on competing in the Amateur Stroke Play Championship in Johannesburg, South Africa, last week, and being one of just eight players selected to take part in the event by the Golfing Union of Ireland.
* Ahoghill brothers Ross Houston (13) and Jake (11) on recently obtaining coveted places in the National Children’s Orchestra of Great Britain.
* Local business Director Jim Dobson of Dunbia on being named Large Company Director of the Year at the Annual Institute of Directors Awards.
*Local manufacturer Wrightbus on receiving a major order for a total of 301 buses from the UK bus division of FirstGroup Plc, a leading transport operator in the UK and North America. “I wish to congratulate the local firm as their continued innovation brings investment to benefit the local economy while helping to also secure jobs within Ballymena,” the Mayor said.
* Kells based firm, Francis Dinsmore Ltd on receiving a substantial order from global brand Barbour for wax coated fabric to be produced at the new Kells wax production unit in 2014. “This is great news for the company and likewise for our borough, securing employment and indeed creating new jobs,” she added.
* Camphill PS on being awarded an investment of over £215,000 from the Department of Education which will provide a multi-purpose area and library for the school.
* Ballymena Cadets who recently swept to victory at the Northern Ireland Cadet and Military Skills Competition held at Magilligan Training Camp - Cadet Lance Corporal Harry McCaughey, Cadet Lance Corporal Ryan Brewster, Cadet Richard McCully, Cadet Corporal Aaron George and Cadets, Lee Johnston, Arran George and Matthew Collins.
* St. Louis Grammar School on winning Invest NI’s 2013 Step ‘N’ Zones competition with a business idea for football boots with deployable studs.