Boy injured in farm accident now ‘stable’

editorial image
0
Have your say

An eight-year-old boy who was critically injured in a farm accident in north Antrim on Monday is now in a stable condition in hospital.

It is understood he fell from a tractor and sustained head injuries at the farm on the Old Frosses Road near Cloughmills.

He was initially taken to Antrim Area Hospital but was later transferred to the Royal Victoria in Belfast.

The Belfast Health Trust confirmed that his condition improved overnight.

DUP MLA Mervyn Storey, who knows the family, has expressed shock at the news.

He said: “The news of this accident has stunned the local community in the Cloughmills area.

“Many schools have just started their half-term holidays and this highlights the dangers that can exist around a working farm.”

Mr Storey added: “My thoughts are with the family at this time and I join with many others in praying that the young boy will recover from the injuries he has suffered.”

North Antrim MP Ian Paisley said: “I am shocked to learn about this accident and my thoughts and prayers are with the family circle at this very worrying time.

“Farming is very much a family occupation and I hope that the young boy will soon be able to return home to the farm.”

Last month the Health and Safety Executive Northern Ireland (HSENI) published its annual report – including a warning about what it called “too many accidents” on all types of farms.

HSENI chief executive Keith Morrison acknowledged that attitudes are improving, but said more must be done to reduce the risk.

The four main causes of accidents were identified as “slurry, animals, falls and equipment”.