DCSIMG

Free workshop on dangers of window blind cords

Workshop to be held in Ballymena on dangers of blind cords

Workshop to be held in Ballymena on dangers of blind cords

It can take as little as 20 seconds for a toddler to die from strangulation if they get tangled in a blind cord and there are thousands of these potentially lethal cords in many homes throughout the province.

Tragically, 28 children have died in the UK in the last 15 years as a result of strangulation by a blind cord.

Ballymena Borough Council, in partnership with Home Accident Prevention Northern Ireland and the Public Health Agency, are holding a free RoSPA workshop that will improve your awareness of these potential dangers and the ways in which the risk can be reduced.

Being hosted by Sure Start at St. Josephs Early Years Centre, 90 Doury Road, on June 5, it will get underway at 2pm.

The two-hour workshop will be on blind cord safety but other related accident types will be addressed including choking accidents, strangulation and suffocation risks.

Places are open to anyone and may be of particular interest to those who make or sell blinds and those working in the statutory, voluntary or community who have links to families with young children, for example, health visitors, family support workers, midwives, social workers, childcare providers and childminders.

Parents as well as older people regularly involved in the care of their grandchildren are also welcome to attend.

There is no cost for attending but places are limited so to reserve a place call 25660394 or email shauna.lagan@ballymena.gov.uk on or before May 23.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page