DCSIMG

Multi-agency flood meetings to be held

editorial image

editorial image

Quarterly multi-agency meetings on flood related issues are to resume in Ballymena, with the next due to be held in September, it has been confirmed to Councillors.

Bringing an update to their July monthly meeting, Acting Town Clerk Rodger McKnight said these had been kickstarted by the workshop held in Ballymena on Thursday, June 19, involving Council, Roads Service and NI Water to discuss the flooding which occurred on Sunday, June 8, following almost two hours of heavy rainfall.

The torrential rain, which was accompanied by prolonged thunder and lightening, badly hit homes in the Harryville area and saw homes in Toome Road/Queen Street flooded for the fifth time in six years.

Other areas badly affected were Smithfield, Larne Road, Wakehurst, Demesne and Tullymore Park. However, at last Monday night’s July Council meeting, Cllr John Carson said he was “disappointed in the content of the meeting”, claiming “Tullymore Park was never mentioned”.

“As yet the two agencies that promised me there would be a report before the meeting never have contacted me about the report,” he said.

“If the agencies don’t take it (Tullymore Park) seriously I can assure you I will,” said Cllr Carson who called for the matter to be put on the agenda of the September multi-agency meeting.

Also on that agenda, said Mr McKnight will be the potential use of flood guards, the feasibility and costs of which were being investigated, councillors were told.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page