Young rugby player’s home targeted in gun attack

Picture - Kevin Scott / Presseye''Sunday 5th April 2015 - Fort View shooting''Pictured is the aftermath of a shooting incident in the Fort View area. At around 2.20am it was reported that a number of shots had been fired at the windows of an unoccupied house in the area.''Picture Credit - Kevin Scott / Presseye
Picture - Kevin Scott / Presseye''Sunday 5th April 2015 - Fort View shooting''Pictured is the aftermath of a shooting incident in the Fort View area. At around 2.20am it was reported that a number of shots had been fired at the windows of an unoccupied house in the area.''Picture Credit - Kevin Scott / Presseye

The home of a rising young rugby star on the outskirts of Ballymena was the target of a gun attack on Easter Sunday, it has emerged.

Shocked neighbours of Adam McBurney have said he could have been killed if he had been present when the house at Fortview, Cromkill, was peppered with shots in the early hours.

It is understood neither Adam McBurney, who has been capped for the Ireland Under-20 rugby side and recently played in their Six Nations campaign, nor his brother Shane McBurney, 20, who lives with him, were there at the time.

Neighbours were stunned and baffled by the incident which occurred at 2.20am on Easter Sunday.

A local man, who did not wish to be named, said: “It is fortunate the boys were not at home when these shots were fired into the living room because with that amount of shots flying about we very well could be talking about the death of one or two brothers, one of whom is one of the best young rugby stars in Ireland, who we hope goes on to get full international caps.”

Adam and Shane McBurney have played for their local rugby club, Ballymena, and Adam has gone on to represent Ulster and Ireland.

So far the brothers have not spoken publicly about the incident.

On Easter Sunday, police sealed the immediate area around the Fortview housing estate. They blamed “criminal elements”.

Commenting on the incident, Chief Inspector Natalie Wilson said: “This type of attack is totally unacceptable and there is no place for this type of activity in a civilised society.

“...We are determined to tackle these criminal elements and as sucsh we are committing additional resources over the next few nights.

“We will not accept this behaviour and I would ask for community support and information as we work to identify those responsible.”