The IAM is issuing advice about driving in winter weather following yellow warnings of snow forecast across much of the country over the next 24 hours.
• Think about the safest possible way to get to your destination. If you can, avoid travelling on quieter roads or country lanes as these are less likely to be gritted.
• Don’t forget to clear off snow piled on the roof and bonnet as it can fall and blow on to the windscreen or the vehicle behind.
• Start your car gently from stationary and avoid high revs. If road conditions are icy and you drive a manual car, move off in a higher gear rather than first gear. Stay in a higher gear to avoid wheel spin.
• Never drive too fast that you risk losing control, but avoid driving so slowly that you risk losing momentum, especially when driving up a slope.
• Double your stopping distance from the vehicle in front of you. This will give you more time to slow down without relying on your brakes.