Mid & East Antrim Council is continuing its bid to save Ballymena courthouse from closure, councillors have been assured.
On July 2, a delegation which included its CEO and Mayor submitted evidence on the issue to the Northern Ireland Assembly Committee for Justice and called for a strategic review of the entire court estate in response to the controversial plan to close eight courthouses including Ballymena.
Should the plan be realised, Mid and East Antrim would be the only council borough without a courthouse.
Updating councillors, last week, Council CEO Anne Donaghy said she had met the previous week with the Head of Court Operations to explore the issue further. She said “an operational group” of council officers and court service representatives was to be established “to work through the details of the options” and that she was then due to meet with court officials in September “to discuss moving forward”.