A Ballymena South Alderman says he is delighted that vandalised lighting on the Ballykeel footbridge and path has been repaired.
After being made aware by a member of the public a week ago that eight lights had been out along the route, which leads from the Ballykeel I estate to the cinema car park, for a number of weeks, DUP Alderman Martin Clarke reported the problem to Department of Regional Development’s Street Lighting Department.
The councillor asked that repair of the lights be made a priority given the route was much used.
He pointed out: “For the last four weeks, both young and elderly people have stopped using the pathway and bridge as they are frightened in the dark.”
Speaking to the Ballymena Times on Tuesday, Alderman Clarke said: “Street Lighting Department have contacted me today to say they have made it a priority at this time but they have pointed out that if the lights are vandalised again it may take a very long time for repairs to be carried out.
“I would have to agree!
“Why should money be wasted repairing something that hooligans keep destroying?
“I would ask if anyone knows who is causing this destruction to report it to the police,” he said.
Alderman Clarke extended his thanks to the member of the public who made him aware of the problem and also the Department of Regional Development’s Street Lighting Department for their very speedy response to the matter.
He also thanked the Department for making the light repairs a priority, pointing out: “The problem is that at this minute there are cutbacks and the Department is issuing statements saying DRD is to curtain its expenditure.
“However, this is a very dark pathway which is located away from the main road and which is greatly used in the early mornings and at night with people going and coming from work.
“So, I am really delighted to say that all the lights are now on,” said Alderman Clarke.