Police had to draw weapons during Ahoghill incident - court told

Police are investigating Coagh incident
Police are investigating Coagh incident

Police officers had to draw their guns during an alleged incident involving an Ahoghill man who is facing a number of charges including having a pick axe as an offensive weapon and making threats to kill.

Jonathan Gregory Wilkinson (49), of Glenwood, has been charged in relation to alleged incidents on September 29. The 16 charges include threats to damage property, assaults, criminal damage, disorderly behaviour at Glenwood and assaulting police.

During a bail hearing at Ballymena Magistrates Court a police officer said he objected to the release of the accused who was appearing via video link from Maghaberry Prison.

He feared Wilkinson would commit further offences and attempt to interfere with witnesses following the “extremely significant” incident.

The officer said Wilkinson allegedly assaulted a relative and another family member, concerned about the accused’s well-being, contacted a GP.

The officer said Wilkinson had a pick-axe and was making threats that he was going to harm a family member and began to smash up a vehicle and said he would burn a house.

Police arrived and during the incident officers had to draw their firearms.

Later Wilkinson allegedly went with a petrol can to a family member’s house and made a threat he would “cut his b*lls off” and burn down the property.

The police officer said the family members were “extremely fearful”.

He said the accused had been at Holywell Hospital for two weeks but was discharged after being found not to be mentally unwell.

A defence lawyer said his client had a clear record and had co-operated fully with police.

He said Wilkinson has complex medical needs and said there were issues about his client taking more medication than prescribed.

The lawyer said the family members have taken out Non-Molestation Orders against the accused.

District Judge Peter King said he had concerns about re-offending and refused bail. The case was adjourned to November 10.