For the first time ever, the magnificent ‘People’s Park’ played host to the Orangemen from the town and surrounding districts.
And with a wonderul lake, lots of ducks and a fantastic playground for the many children, the park proved a hugely popular choice for scores of families.
This year’s demonstration in Ballymena – the only town to hold its own parade every year – was hosted by St Patrick’s Church Temperance LOL 1123.
The lodge can trace its history back to 1923 with a warrant being issued on May 26 of that year in the name of Rev John Cullen.
Originally known as St Patrick’s Church Defenders, the lodge, like many others, championed the cause of the temperance movement.
For that reason it was renamed as a ‘Total Abstinence’ LOL and then as a Temperance Lodge in 1954.
It was a very proud day for Worshipful Master, Bro David McConaghie Snr who is also Master of Ballymena District LOL No. 8
Orangemen with bands and drumming parties assembled at Wakehurst Road at 12.30pm and proceeded through the town via Queens Street, Harryville Bridge, Waveney Road, Galgorm Road, Pentagon, Lower Mill Street, Ballymoney Street and Thomas Street to the People’s Park on the Doury Road.
As they approached Harryville Bridge, the lodges passed under an immense new double span arch which was erected this year at Salisbury Square.