Mid & East Antrim borough fourth in NI for recycling

editorial image

Mid & East Antrim is in fourth place on the provincial council league table for recycling.

Details were contained in a report to a Council committee on the latest quarterly Local Authority Municipal Waste Management Statistics for July-September, last year.

They show that 20,685 tonnes of waste were dealt with in the borough of which 13% was non-household and eight per cent was household.

Of the 20,685 tonnes collected, 4,308 tonnes (20.8%) was dry recycling, 5,702 tonnes (27.6%) composting, 1,661 tonnes (eight percent) waste energy recovery, giving an overall recycling rate of 48.4% with 8,995 tonnes sent to landfill.

The recycling and composting rate of 48.4% was down one per cent in the same quarter of the previous year which keeps Mid and East Antrim in fourth place for recycling out of the 11 councils in N. Ireland.

The average household waste produced per household in the borough during the reporting quarter was 328kg.