Excellent weekend for Northend United sides

IN an almost perfect weekend for Northend United Youth, three of the five teams won, one team drew and one team was beaten.

Monday, 15th March 2010, 6:52 am
Updated Monday, 15th March 2010, 12:59 pm

Pride of place this week goes to Northend’s U11 team, who defeated top of the table team Bertie Peacocks at their third time of trying, in a BEAYIL Shield semi-final.


Northend 4, Whitehead Eagles 3: It was Whitehead who broke the deadlock but Northend grabbed a well deserved equaliser when Shea O'Brien found space on the edge of the box to drill a low shot into the corner.

However, Whitehead took the lead again to go 2-1 ahead and it took a brilliant tackle from Scott Sempey to prevent them increasing their lead.

Northend continued to apply their own pressure, and were rewarded when O'Brien converted an Alex O'Boyle corner with a fine header.

Both teams continued to pile forward and Whitehead found the net just before the break to make it 3-2 after an eventful first half.

In the second half, Northend began to dominate the play, and when O'Brien laid the ball off from a free kick, Cory Little rifled a shot into the top of the net to make it 3-3.

It was all Northend now, and their constant attacking pressure paid off when Alex O'Boyle came up to take a corner, received a return ball and drilled a fine low shot inside the near post from the tightest of angles to give Northend a 4-3 lead, which they held for the remainder of the game. MOM - Cory Little and Shea O'Brien.

Northend: Kieran O'Boyle, Scott Sempey, Alex O'Boyle, Aaron Campbell, Jamie Wray, Matthew Erwin, Matthew Downey, Jamie Stevenson, Aaron Montgomery, Shea O'Brien, Cory Little, James O'Loughlin, Aidan Graffin, Eoin McNally.


Northend 2, Bertie Peacocks 1: United took the lead just before the break when David Kilgore skillfully beat two defenders before crossing to Zack Herbison who touched it to Rhys O'Mullan to rifle the ball past the helpless Peacocks keeper.

The second half started with Peacocks throwing everything at Northend and it wasn't long before they equalised.

Northend took the lead from a corner, Rhys O'Mullan crossed; only for it to be headed back out to him, he crossed the ball again and this time the ball ricocheted off a defender and into the net to take Northend into the Shield final. MOM - Conor Graham and Rhys O’Mullan.

Northend: James Morgan, Robbie Dennison, Jamie Crawford, Oliver Boyle, Philip Maybin, Conor Graham, Conor McHugh, David Kilgore, Zack Herbison, Rhys O’Mullan, Sam Bennett, Ben Sempey, Matthew Adams, Andrew Milligan, Eamon Elliot.


Larne Youth 3, Northend 4: Larne went in front when the Northend defence stood off them, allowing the Larne striker to lob Anthony O’Neill in goals but Northend levelled when Ciaran Neeson flicked the ball over the Larne midfield to Joshua King who quickly fed Harry Kilgore who held his marker off to give the Larne keeper no chance.

Northend pushed from the start of the second half and went in front when Ciaran Neeson won the ball in midfield dribbled pass three players and smashed a unstoppable shot into the corner of the Larne net, a contender for goal of the season.

Larne draw level again at 2-2 only for Leo Morgan to put Northend in front again with a free kick into the corner of the net.

Aaron Reid then came on and with his first touch, following a corner, the Larne keeper was picking the ball out of the net.

Larne made a few substitutes and one of them pulled one goal back to make it a tense final few minutes. MOM - Ronan Ward.

Northend: Anthony O'Neill, Ronan Ward, Kyle Johnston, Przemyslaw Nowak, Eoin Campbell, Jack Dawson, Ciaran Neeson, Joshua King, Harry Kilgore, Leo Morgan, Eoin McCorkindale, Aaron Reid, Calum Johnston, Conor McCormick, Adrian Dubyna.


Northend 1, Carrick Rangers 4: Northend started off this BEAYIL Cup second round match in first gear and found themselves down 1-0 after five minutes when the Carrick striker lobbed home from 20 yards.

This was a wake-up call for United and Michael Laverty made a break down the Northend wing on eight minutes and from his resultant cross, Ryan Gault was on hand to equalise.

Carrick regained the lead with a goal which Northend felt was offside and although Northend missed several chances, Carrick scored twice more in the closing stages to go through. MOM - Matthew Mulholland.

Northend: Niall Shannon, Stefan McLees, Caolan Tierney, Jamie Speirs, Niall Swann, Michael Laverty, Ryan Gault, Matthew Mulholland, Jaime Brown, Dylan Hamill, Brendan O’Mullan, Jordan Donnelly, Ciaran McCambridge.


Carryduff 1, Northend 1: After a good start, it was no surprise when Northend went in front when from a corner; Emmet Kerr was on hand to give Northend a 1-0 lead.

With time running out, it looked like Northend would get all three points but unfortunately they conceded a corner right on full time and from the resultant cross, Carryduff's striker was on hand to equalise. MOM - Declan McAfee.

Northend: Dylan Little, Mark Robinson, Emmet Kerr, Ryan Douds, Declan McAfee, Thomas Brady, Sean McCann Brendan Lynas, Ryan McIllroy, Conan Dunne, Aidan Hughes, Simon Cunningham, Ciaran Ferris, Ryan Walsh.


The Mini Soccer Academy continues on Saturday, March 20, at Dunfane Pitch 1 from 2.15-4pm.

For more information, please contact John Devlin, Northend United Youth Development Officer, on 0791 905 6834.


Upwards of 80 players, coaches and parents completed the annual sponsored climb of Slemish on Saturday, to raise funds for the Club. An enjoyable time was had by all with many stating they can’t wait for next year’s climb.