Another frustrating weekend for Carniny Youth FC teams

Carniny Youth's Stephen Greer nips past a Cookstown opponent. INBT 04-174CS
Carniny Youth's Stephen Greer nips past a Cookstown opponent. INBT 04-174CS

Once again Carniny Youth FC had a reduced weekend fixture list with School Open days and waterlogged pitches curtailing the action.

The Under 13s’ game with Celtic Boys in the South Belfast Youth League produced the only positive result of the three matches that were played with Darren McGall’s squad playing out a 2-2 draw with the Belfast side.

Carniny Youth's Lewis McKee wins a header against Cookstown. INBT 04-176CS

Carniny Youth's Lewis McKee wins a header against Cookstown. INBT 04-176CS

The U17s lost out to Cookstown Youth on the Friday night with the Under 15s knocked out of the National League KO Cup by Irish league Academy side, Glenavon in their replay match.

All at the club would like to wish Under17 Player Conor Graham a speedy recovery after sustaining a fractured wrist in their game against Cookstown Youth.


Carniny Youth are delighted to have received confirmation of their entries to the 2016 Hughes Insurance Foyle Cup Tournament this Summer.

Carniny Youth's Curtis McVeigh in action against Cookstown. INBT 04-178CS

Carniny Youth's Curtis McVeigh in action against Cookstown. INBT 04-178CS

The club has a long history of playing in the Foyle Cup, stretching back over the last ten years.

The club will enter teams at no less than FIVE age groups in the tournament with the Under 11s participating in the 9 a side format games and the U12, 14, 15 and 17s all playing in the main 11 a side traditional games.


With the continued growth within the club Carniny are responding to the interest in the female game following the recent woman’s world cup. Although still in the early stages Carniny intend starting with girls of Primary School age and hope to invite them to girls only training sessions with the intention in the long term of forming a female team. Until any appointments have been made to oversee this project any persons interested either as player or coach should contact the club in the following way, E mail –

Website –


Carniny Youth 2, Celtic Boys 2: Carniny made the trip to Celtic Boys on the back of their emphatic win in their last league game.

From a corner on 25 minutes Carniny took the lead. The ball fell to Logan and he coolly placed the ball to the bottom corner of the net. Just before half time Carniny nearly extended their lead when Pogue hit a thunderbolt from 20 yards. The ball struck the underside of the bar and came down onto the line.

Carniny made a slow start to 2nd half and paid for it a minute in. A through ball left the Celtic player through on goal. He scuffed his shot but found the far corner of the net.

Two minutes later Celtic went 2-1 up when Carniny failed to clear the ball from their own box. Carniny responded well and used the flanks to cause a threat. 22 mins into the second half and they were level. Great play down the left from Knowles resulted in the ball breaking to McMullan who smashed it home from 12 yards.


Glenavon 3, Carniny Youth 0: Both teams started very brightly looking to take control of this NIBFA National League cup tie.

Glenavon opened the scoring in the second half with a near post strike. Carniny had to settle and get back into it. But again Glenavon added a second with an excellent finish. Carniny had a great chance to pull one back with Oueslati blazing over the bar. Glenavon added a third to progress to the next round.

Carniny O’Neill, Clyde, Lorimer, McDonald, Oueslati, Campbell, Kelly, Shaw, Parker, McAllister, Murray, Smyth, Fleming, Gaynor.


Carniny Youth 0, Cookstown Youth 3: AFter Aaron Johnston shot straight at the keeper when clean through, Cookstown went down the other end of the pitch and scored with a well placed shot.

Midway through the second half Carniny suffered a major blow when their influential midfielder Conor Graham had to leave the field with what was later confirmed as a fractured wrist. Late in the game as Carniny pushed looking for an equaliser they were hit by a further two goals.

Carniny: Kealey, Hull, McComb, Lemon, McKee, Graham, McVeigh, Greer, Doherty, Johnston, Rankin, Hassan, Henderson, McDonnell.


Carniny Amateur & Youth FC 0, Dundela Youth 1: Carniny were handed this game on a plate yet ended up losing after missing two penalties.

On ten minutes the visitors took the lead when a shot from the left dribbled over the line.

On 30 minutes they had the ball in the back of the net but the referee blew up for an infringement and awarded them a penalty instead. The resulting penalty taken by Balmer blasted straight at the visiting goal minder ended up easily saved.

On 75 minutes Carniny were awarded their second penalty and changed the person taking their spot kicks but to no avail and this time Agnew’s effort was saved.