Carniny debutant Zach Barr fires four goals past Shamrock in Junior Cup

Seven Towers Ryan McCartney fires in his team's fifth goal in their 5-1 win over Woodside FC at Wakehurst. INBT 49-188CS
Seven Towers Ryan McCartney fires in his team's fifth goal in their 5-1 win over Woodside FC at Wakehurst. INBT 49-188CS

Four goals from debutant Zach Barr helped Carniny to an extra time victory over high flying Amateur League side Shamrock.

The pitches at Wakehurst survived the weekend rain enabling this IFA Junior Cup Round 3 tie to take place.

Carniny should have taken an early lead after Darren Kidd outpaced the Shamrock defence but his rushed shot went wide of the post.

The visitors were providing lively opposition for Carniny and went ahead on 18 minutes when a near post corner went into the net off a defender.

This stung Carniny into action and four minutes later new signing Zach Barr put them back on level terms with a sweet strike after good work by Alan Fullerton on the right.

The weather was proving a factor for both sides in the first half but by the turnaround the wind and rain had eased somewhat.

The home side were enjoying a larger share of possession and should have gone ahead through Darren Kidd but his effort was well saved by John Murphy in the Shamrock goal.

The Amateur League side were far from out of it though as the hard working Cory Gilmore and clever midfielder Stephen Smyth were still troubling the Carniny backline.

Two of Carniny’s subs combined then on 81 minutes to craft a second goal.

Frazer Young set Jonny Clarke free down the left and his accurate cross was finished off by Zach Barr.

With the game drifting to a close Carniny were hit by a sucker punch deep into injury time when Stephen Smyth advanced from midfield with the ball and chipped Sean Ward from 20 yards.

The home side rallied in extra time with Zach Barr completing his hat trick in the 94th minute before finishing the job four minutes later after Darren Kidd unselfishly played the debut boy in for his fourth goal of the day sending Carniny into the last 32.

Ahoghill Thistle 4 Beann Mhadaghan 1

Thistle were made fight all the way to make it into the last 32 as they had to come from behind to see off their Belfast opponents.

In the blustery conditions the visitors settled quickest and they took the lead on 15 minutes when their striker raced through and chipped Ryan Curry to give his side the lead.

This goal fired Thistle up and they equalised five minutes later when a through ball beat everyone and left Matthew Boyd clear and he made no mistake to draw his side level.

The visitors were in control for long spells as they seemed to have got to grips with the conditions better, but they could not get back in front as the half finished level.

Thistle looked a determined side at the start of the second half and 10 minutes in they took the lead.

When a George Courtney corner was turned in at the near post by Matthew Boyd to double his tally.

Thistle took control after this and David Drummond added a third just after the hour mark when he took on two defenders before unleashing a wonder strike into the top corner of the net.

Thistle clinched the win late on after a succession of missed chances when substitute Stevie Nicholl capped an impressive debut when he raced clear to chip the keeper and seal the victory for Thistle.

firmus energy BSML Division One

Abbeyview 1 Raceview 2: Raceview have got their season back on track after a slow start and their improved form continued with this hard fought victory over Abbeyview, inflicting on them only their second league defeat.

In a bright started for both sides Timmy Cunningham went close for Raceview while at the other end Alan Cochrane smashed a 30 yards drive off the post. On the half hour mark Raceview got the breakthrough.

Timmy Cunningham fed the ball into Steven Cochrane on the edge of the box; he turned his man brilliantly before firing into the bottom corner of the net.

Raceview were on top now and went close again through Timmy Cunningham, before they doubled their lead on the stroke of half time. Ian Millar clipped a free kick to the back post were David Cameron rose highest to head home and give his side a comfortable two goal half time lead.

At the start of the second half Raceview had chances through David Cameron, Paul McBurney and Steven Cochrane to clinch the game, but these chances were missed as Abbeyview started to work their way back into the game.

Luis Marcote was starting to become a big threat for Abbeyview and he wriggled past two defenders before smashing an effort against the post as the home side pushed to get back in the game.

Raceview then had keeper Ian Watt to thank as he made a great save from Roy Robinson to keep the score at 2-0. With 10 minutes to go Abbeyview set up a tense finish for the visitors when they reduced the deficit to one goal when Craig Larkin swung over a loopy cross from the left which deceived everyone and finished up in the net.

After this it was backs to the wall for Raceview but they dug in and defended well to claim all three points and move them up the table.

firmus energy BSML Division Two

Woodside 2 Seven Towers 7: Towers moved to within a point of leaders Carnlough Swifts with this comprehensive victory over winless Woodside.

It took Towers less than a minute to take the lead when Leslie McCaughern found Timmy McKillen on the left hand corner of the box and he drilled the ball home to give Towers the perfect start.

It was one way traffic and Towers made it 2-0 on 20 minutes when Matt McAnally outpaced his marker to fire home. Soon after Ross Hunter made it 3-0 when he was played in by Gary McIlroy and made no mistake firing home.

Towers were looking very good at the minute and Ryan McCartney made it 4-0 just after the half hour mark when he skipped past his man on the edge of the box and curled the ball home.

On the stroke of half time Towers capped a brilliant first half display when Paul Donegan played in Chris Graham, but his shot was parried out to Matt McAnally who headed home from close range his second of the game.

There was no let up for Towers after the break and Matt McAnally completed his hat trick five minutes into the half when he latched onto a Ryan Brady through ball to score.

Ryan Brady was the architect 10 minutes later when he slipped in Ross Hunter and he fired home to take his tally to two and make it 7-0 to Towers. After this Towers took their foot off the gas and let Woodside back in when they hit two quick goals back through Trevor Richards and then Jonny Carson hit one from long range to make the score 7-2.

Towers were then dealt a major blow after the second Woodside goal when keeper Kieran McMichael, making a comeback from a long term injury suffered another bad injury and Towers having made all three substitutes had to finish the game with 10 men.

The game fizzed out after this, but Chris Graham and Matt McAnally both spurned good chances late on to add to Towers goal tally, but they had done more than enough to seal all three points.