Carniny sides wrap up pre-Christmas wins

Carniny Amateur & Youth FC.
Carniny Amateur & Youth FC.

Carniny Youth Under 13s and 19s wrapped up for the Christmas break with welcome wins last Saturday.

The Under 13s were in fine form against Lisburn Rangers in the South Belfast Youth League with a 4-1 win, whilst the Under 19s ran out 3-1 winners away to Lurgan Celtic in the NIFL Youth league.

This was a valuable three points for the ‘Ballymena Reds’, with fifteen year olds, James McDonnell and Cormac Lemon making impressive debuts for the youth team.

The U11s and 12s had no such luck as they lost out in their respective Lisburn Youth league games. In the National League Jason Hunter’s 14s lost out at home to Dungannon with the U15s suffering a narrow 2-1 defeat against their current league leaders Larne Youth.

The club would like to wish all their players, coaches, staff and parents a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year


Carniny Youth 0, Greenisland 4: In blustery conditions, both teams started brightly and the game ebbed and flowed.

A free kick on the edge of the box allowed Greenisland an opportunity which they duly dispatched for 1-0.

In the second half, from a Carniny throw in, Greenisland were allowed to win the ball and move it across the pitch. The striker was allowed a free shot for 2-0.

From a Carniny corner, Greenisland cleared it and the striker was allowed to run forward and slot home. A final piece of great individual play saw the Greenisland midfielder skip past a few tackles and finish for 4-0.

A disappointing end to the game for the boys. Their work rate could not be faulted and they never gave up but just didn’t get that bit of fortune that can be the difference in winning and losing.

Carniny: Tweed, Douglas, Murray, K McMullan, Greer, Moody, Graham, C McMullan, Scott, Kennedy, Magee.


Results: Carniny Youth 1, Hillsborough 4; Carniny FC 1, Windmill 5.


Carniny Youth 4, Lisburn Rangers 1: Carniny put out a strong team in their pre Christmas a fixture and they were to reward their supporters with a fine dominant display in very windy and difficult conditions.

Carniny started well playing some good passing football but it was Rangers who broke the deadlock on seven mins when a high looping ball evaded keeper McAuley to make it 1-0.

On nine minutes Carniny equalised when K Johnston went down the left wing cut inside the penalty area and fired a perfect shot into the top corner of the net.

On twelve minutes Carniny made it 2-1 when, Rachael Dennison won a tackle, raced out of defence and placed a ball into the penalty area which the Rangers defence couldn’t deal with. The ball somehow ended up in the back of the net.

Carniny had the wind behind their backs in the second half and were camped in the Rangers half for the majority of the game. Eight minutes into the second half and it was 3-1, with Kerr placing a free kick high into the roof of the net from 25 yards.

Carniny had further chances and excellent passing from Dylan Johnston and Young presented Knowles with the ball in the box. Some good foot work beat the defender and he shot home from close range to make it 4-1.

A good win for Carniny which will hopefully set them up for a good second half of the season.


Result: Carniny Youth 0, Dungannon Utd Youth 4.


Result: Carniny Youth 1, Larne Youth 2.


Carniny Youth 3, Lurgan Celtic Youth 1: Carniny were given an early Xmas present with three hard earned league points away to the County Armagh Celts giving the Ballymena ‘reds’ a rare league double over the league newcomers.

Carniny took the lead as early as the third minute when a defence splitting pass from Hagan found Benji Agnew who fired into the net.

After twenty minutes Lurgan drew level when a cross from their right was not dealt with by Carniny and ended up in the net. Almost immediately though Carniny responded and after 23 minutes Hagan again proved the danger man and this time found James Price who fired home to regain their lead.

On the hour mark Shannon proved the hero of the day which earned him the accolade of man of the match as he saved a penalty to keep his side in the game.

This jolted the visitors into action and with two fifteen year olds, James McDonnell and Cormac Lemon outstanding as McCormick and Hagan ruled the mid field and Price toiled in attack keeping the visitors on their toes.

On the hour mark Carniny netted a third when Krystian Jaworski half volleyed the ball into the net to give his side a more comfortable cushion which they were able to hold onto despite Celtic testing Shannon time and time again although he proved more than capable.

Carniny can now take a break until the New Year when hopefully they can go from strength to strength and pick up many more points like they did last season.

Carniny: Shannon, Calderwood, Jaworski, McCann, Lemon, Hagan, McDonnell, McCormick, Balmer, Agnew, Price, McKee.