Carniny under-13s kick-start season with impressive win

Carniny Amateur & Youth FC.
Carniny Amateur & Youth FC.

Carniny Youth Under 13s finally kick started their season off with a win against Magherafelt last Saturday.

Jason Hunters boys are relishing the challenge as the only local team at this age group in the Premier Division of the NIBFA Subway National League, where it is proving to be packed full of quality sides.

The U10 Amateurs were once again involved in a high scoring game winning against a good younger side in Bertie Peacocks. The Under 10 Youth however lost out to Dungiven Celtic.

The U12s had to settle for a draw this week against Barn Utd in atrociously wet and windy conditions on Friday night. Carniny’s other team in the National League Premier Division, the Under 15s had travelled to Lurgan mid week and came away with a draw.

In the Lisburn League the U11s lost out to St Oliver Plunketts in what was a close game with their U11 Amateur counterparts playing out a 3-3 draw with Magherafelt Sky Blues in Coleraine.

The Under 17s, in their usual Friday night game lost out to Irish league academy side, Cliftonville conceding to late second half goals having led the game at the break. The Under 14s lost out on their travels to Fermanagh against Ballinamallard.


Carniny Youth 1, Dungiven Celtic 3: After being under pressure early on, Carniny finally settled and good chasing by Jack Kennedy saw him dispose a Dungiven defender & cross for Cameron Moody who finished well to put his side in the lead.

Dungiven who finished the half strongly and good work on the left from their No.10 saw him cut in & find the net.

Carniny were confident starting the second half with the strong wind behind them but Dungiven took the lead almost immediately with a speculative shot from distance.

With time running out & Moody unfortunately having to leave the field again, Dungiven finished strongly & made it 3-1 late on after a mix up in the Carniny defence.

Carniny: Strange, Courtney, McMullan, Scott, Murray, Moody, Kennedy,

Carniny Amateurs 7, Bertie Peacock Youth U9 5: Due to injuries Carniny had to reshuffle their team for this game and quickly found themselves 3-0 down!

Carniny responded when a long range effort from Graham was spilled and put away by McKee following up. A corner then from Magee was cleared to Graham who’s lobbed cross went straight in to finish the half 3-2 down.

Straight from the kick off Magee ran through to score to level the game. A corner from Magee fell to McKee who scored to give Carniny the lead. A long clearance from Francey was controlled by Graham who slipped his man to score to make it 5-3.

Bertie’s were then awarded a free kick outside the box and despite being cleared their midfielder fired home a goal. Another free kick was awarded to Bertie’s and their striker fired home high into the net to bring the game to 5-5.

Not disheartened Carniny worked a move between Francey and Graham and the latter fired home again. Right on the whistle, Magee put McKee through for him to score the final goal.

Carniny: McMullan, Douglas, Francey, Graham, Magee, McKee, Greer, Wylie


Carniny Youth 1, SOPFC 2: Carniny started strongly and had several chances before Joshua Balmer scored a 30 yard shot but Plunkett equalised to leave the score 1-1 at the break.

In the second half Ryan McGrath in the Carniny goals kept Plunkett at bay with some great saves but the Belfast side scored to make the score 2-1 after some poor defending from Carniny. Carniny; McGrath, O’Boyle, Condron, McPeake, Balmer, Fletcher, Foster, Clarke, Farenden.

Carniny Amateurs 3, Magherafelt Sky Blues 3: Porter broke the deadlock for Carniny on the 7th minute after some great build up play But Magherafelt equalized on the 10th min with a long ball over the top which caught out the Carniny defence.

Carniny scored within one minute of the re-start with a great ball into to box by Porter and a superb finish from Dael at the back post but Sky Blues levelled the scored before the interval.

Carniny fell behind for the first time in the second half but they earned a draw when Murray played a one-two Nathanael Hanna, then Murray slotted the ball perfectly into the bottom corner.

Carniny; McKendry, Porter, Murray, Dael, Hanna, Drain, Kelly, Tuff, Herron


Carniny Youth 3, Barn United Youth 3: Carniny came back from 2-0 down to grab the draw on a wet and windy night. Both teams had chances to win late on but a draw was probably a fair result.


Carniny Youth 3, Magherafelt Sky Blues 0: After 20 minutes Carniny broke the deadlock when Graffin scored straight from a corner and the Ballymena boys were unlucky not to extend their lead as both Lynn and Graffin hit the woodwork.

In the second half, Holland then got Carniny’s second after a great cross by Lynn he placed the ball into the corner on the volley. The game was effectively over when White was put through by Graffin and smashed the ball on the half volley into the roof of the net to make it 3-0.

Carniny: McNicholl, Lamont, Simpson, Hamilton, Robinson, Lynn, Hunter, White, Graffin, Adger, Holland and Young.


Carniny Youth 1, Ballinamallard United Youth 4: After falling behind, Carniny equalised when Rhys Hemphill flicked the ball over for Joshua Courtney to score.

The Fermanagh side scored a crucial second just before the interval and then scored twice in quick succession early in the second half.

Carniny; McAllister, Campbell, Kirk, Winter, Fleming, McDonald, McKitterick, Moag, Courtney, Hemphill, Gordon, Parker, Close.


Carniny Youth 1, Lurgan Town Youth 1: Lurgan went ahead against the run of play just before the stroke of half-time and although Sean Elliott levelled in the second half, the Ballymena boys could not find a winner.

Carniny; O’Brien, Lemon, Houston, Henderson, Downey, Carley, Marshall, Young, Scullion, Elliott, Little, Leetch, McDonnell, Montgomery.


Carniny Youth 2, CLiftonville 5: On Friday evening Carniny U17s hosted Cliftonville U17s at a wet and windy Ballymena Showgrounds and the Ballymena side lead at the break thanks to two goals from Tyrone Balmer.

Balmer unfortunately had to withdraw with an injury sustained in a challenge with the goalkeeper and Cliftonville eventually pulled away to secure victory, with some late goals giving the scoreline a flattering look for the north Belfast side, while Carniny’s Rhys O’Mullan saw his penalty saved by the visiting goalkeeper.

Carniny: Marquess, Calderwood, Bunting, McCartney, McComb, Price, Killough, O’Mullan, Graham, McKernan, Balmer, Jaworski, Letters, Doherty, Johnston, McWilliams.