Carniny Youth FC round-up: U-14s’ win at Portadown is highlight

Carniny Youth FC.
Carniny Youth FC.

THE Under 14s started the weekend off brightly for Carniny Youth FC sides when a single Andrew Adams goal was enough to see them take the points from Portadown Youth on Friday evening.

The under 9s and 10s enjoyed their last Saturday of action before the league winter break and were joined by the Under 8s who were taking part in a five a side soccer blitz in the North West.

The Under 15s lost out to Warrenpoint at Mallusk whilst the Under 13s match at the Showgrounds was called off due to the icy conditions.


With the first 8 weeks completed at the Carniny FDC, the opportunity to participate in an IFA run soccer blitz was welcomed by the 2005 team.

Taking a small squad of 6 players they competed in 5 games which was a good introduction to what they will face next year in the league.

The opening fixture was against Oak Athletic, who caught Carniny cold and raced into a 2 goal lead. Carniny responded with a goal in which every player played a part, eventually ending with Nathanial Hanna converting after Cameron Moody’s shot had come off the post.

Carniny equalised in the second half from Cameron only to concede a goal virtually on the final whistle.

The second match ended in a 1-1 draw with Ballymoney ‘B’, with Lewis White on target for Carniny.

From there it was 2-1 win over Ballymena United with goas from Cameron Moody and Anthony Greer, before a 3-0 defeat by Bertie Peacock’s.

Carniny concluded their day with a 4-2 defeat by Ballymoney A with Hanna and Moody on target.


Carniny 0, Ballycastle United 1: Carniny couldn’t convert a number of chances in the first half and

instead it was Ballycastle who took the lead just before the interval.

It was a similar story after the break as Carniny forced a succession of corners but couldn’t find the net. In the dying minutes Farenden went close but Ballycastle’s keeper saved well.

Carniny: Farenden, Murray, D Hanna, Porter, Balmer, McClure, O’Boyle, Millar, McKendry, Robinson, Herron.


Carniny 2, Coleraine Olympic 3: Carniny started well but fell behind to a deflected strike before levelling when Niall Pogue was on the end of a searching cross from Taylor Adger to head home.

Coleraine regained the lead early in the second half but Adger equalised for Carniny soon after. Carniny fell behind to a well worked Coleraine goal and despite a number of late chances were unable to get back on level terms.

Carniny: Friel, Dennison, Higgins, Reid, Pogue, Adger, McAuley, Ogilvie, Weir, McAleese.


Carniny 1, Portadown Youth 0: Carniny travelled to Portadown on Friday night to take on the home side who were on a high having beaten Glentoran in midweek.

The Reds started brightly and were unlucky first when Andrew Adams hit the underside of the bar from a long range free kick and again when Rhys O’Mullan was not awarded a penalty after being bundled off the ball inside the six yard box.

After a scoreless first half, the Carniny midfield reasserted themselves and the goal eventually arrived with ten minutes to go when Andrew Adams smashed a 25 yard free kick into the roof of the net.

The home side through everything into attack in the dying minutes and from a set piece Carniny were thankful to Thomas Campbell for making a superb headed goal line clearance.

Carniny: J McClean, T Campbell, C McGall, S Evans, A Adams, E Daly, R O’Mullan, M Thompson, J Houston, C Doherty, J Hasson, M McComb, A Johnston, J Stewart.


Carniny 2, Warrenpoint Town 3: After Carniny keeper Marquess had made a number of erly saves, it was the Reds who broke the deadlock when fine play on the right set McCann free whose fierce shot was palmed out by the Warrenpoint keeper to Price who scored from close range.

Carniny doubled the score soon after this when a superb ball out of defence by Killough, split the Warrenpoint defence and Campbell fired home high into the net for a super

The second half was barely started when Warrenpoint pulled a goal back after confusion between Carniny players on the left.

Warrenpoint seized control from here, first equalising and then scoring a winner as Carniny failed to match their opponents’ hard work.

Carniny: Marquess, Killough, Rowe, Weir, Carberry, Price, Mairs, McCann, O`Connell, Graham, Campbell, Shevlin, Macartney, Jaworski, Wotjtowicz, Neeson.