‘Extra’ special Shield victory for Strollers


Wakehurst Strollers claimed thier first ever Junior Shield victory n Saturday when they progressed to the second round of the competition after beating Mourne Rovers.

And it was also a good day for the other locally-based sides in the Ballymena & Provincial League with Clough Rangers AThletic claiming their first win of the season with a last minute victory over Ballyclare Noth End.

Chimney Corner saw their 100 per cent record go in the intermediate division but they still remain undefeated a asocreles draw against Brantwood.


The extends its condolences to the family of Keith Rogers, the President of Antrim Rovers and a staunch supporter of the league, who passed away at the weekend.


Chimney Corner 0, Brantwood 0: Both sides came close to breaking the scoreless stalemate in this closely-contested encounter at Allen Park.

In the 75th minute, Brantwood were awarded a penalty.

Kenny Grealey took the kick but saw the Corner keeper Stephen Watson parry the ball out and then make a second save to deny Brantwood twice in a few seconds.

Keeper Watson then cleared the ball up field where David Hanna latched on to it but saw his shot cannon off the top corner the goalpost to the relief of the north Belfast side.

Other result: Dunloy 0, Magherafelt Sky Blues 2.


Results: Cokstown RBL 1, Woodlands 1; Desertmartin Swifts 5, FC Whiteabbey 2.


Ballyclare North End 3, Clough Rangers Athletic 4: Robert Bonnes put North End in front by scoring in the 1st minute but then saw Ross Steele score the equaliser on the 5th minute.

Half-time was then coming up when William Dunlop put Clough ahead on the 41st minute but North End hit back when Graham McFarlane scored on the 45th minute.

The second half saw lots of chances then on the 70th minute Chris Aitcheson in goal for Clough saved a penalty to deny North End.

Clough went in front on the 81st minute through a thunderous shot by William Dunlop on the 81st minute but back came North End to equalise though Craig Gracey on the 89th minute only to see Colin Stewart reply with the winner for Clough on the 90th minute.


Wakehurst Strollers 4, Mourne Rovers 3 (aet): Mourne went in front early in the first-half of this tie but Paul Gilchrist cancelled this out when he scored on the 26th minute.

Wakehurst went in front on the 38th minute after Philip Cunningham scored but then saw the visitors come back to equalise.

Conor McKenna scored on the 68th minute putting Wakehurst back in front and this lead remained until the 90th minute when Mourne scored.

Extra-time was then played with Wakehurst getting the all important winner when Paul Gilchrist scored six minutes into the opening period.