Goals galore as Carniny games produce scoring bonanza

Carniny's Bailie Young and Ballymena Utd's Simon Evans. INBT 42-171CS
Carniny's Bailie Young and Ballymena Utd's Simon Evans. INBT 42-171CS

It was a high scoring weekend for Carniny Youth with no less than an average of five goals per game throughout the club’s teams.

The Under 10s recorded a win in a ten goal thriller with Carrick Rangers while the Under 13s played their first league match after initial seeding matches and played out a 4-4 draw with an unbeaten Abbey Villa side.

Carniny's Peter Rankin is challenged by Ballymena United's Thomas Campbell. INBT 42-170CS

Carniny's Peter Rankin is challenged by Ballymena United's Thomas Campbell. INBT 42-170CS

There was another stalemate in the Lisburn League with the U12s showing great determination to come back from three goals down to share the points with Shankill Jnrs in a 3-3 draw.

In the National League the Under16s made the long trip to Ballinamallard playing out a 1-1 draw with their Fermanagh opponents.

In the popular Friday night NIBFA Subway National league U17 fixture it was derby day with the 17s losing out to Ballymena Utd in a close 2-1 result.

The Under 10s lost out to Ballymoney in the North West league whilst there was also no joy for the U12 Youths, U14s and 15s against Hillsborough, Ridgeway and Loughgall respectively

Carniny's Dylan Hull heads the ball away. INBT 42-175CS

Carniny's Dylan Hull heads the ball away. INBT 42-175CS

The Under 8s and Under 9s continued gaining invaluable experience with some game action with teams playing in the Friday Night SSGs and Saturday Morning SSGs at the Showgrounds.

Saturday afternoon also saw the club’s Coerver FDC the chance to test their skills learnt on Monday evenings at the SSGs on Saturday afternoon at the Showgrounds.


Following the Club’s AGM last week Lee Barry has been elected as the new Chairman of Carniny Amateur and Youth FC.

Lee was elected after long standing chair, Anthony McCartney stood down from the post.

The outgoing chairman thanked the club for its support over the years and left the post with many fond memories during his tenure. He wished the new chairman every success in his new post.


Carniny Youth 1, Ballymoney Athletic 2: After a scoreless first half, Carniny fell behind early in the second period but they quickly levelled through Bell.

It was a tight second half but two minutes before the final whistle Ballymoney managed to score a second goal leaving the result at full time 2-1.

Carniny: Bell, Bradley, Clarke, C McCorriston, L McCorriston, McPeake, Young, Wylie.


Carniny Youth 6, Carrick Rangers 4: Carniny recovered from the shock of going two goals behind to lead 4-2 at the interval thanks to goals from Sam Magee (2), Cormac McMullan and Kenzie McMullan.

Carniny continued to dominate in the second period and further goals from Leon Graham and Anthony Greer put them 6-2 ahead before Carrick pulled two goals back near the end.

Carniny: Strange, Douglas, K McMullan, Magee, Moody, Greer, Kennedy, Tweed, Murray, Graham, C McMullan.


Carniny FC 3, SHankill Juniors 3: This was the proverbial ’game of two halves’ with the Belfast boys turning around at half-time three goals to the good.

A few changes were made at the break and and Clarke scored from an O’Boyle cross, then Fletcher made it 3-2 and also hit the bar shortly after with Larkin equalising in the dying seconds to earn the Carniny boys a share of the points.

Carniny: Farenden, McPeake, Kane, Clarke, O’Boyle, Murray, Larkin, Fletcher, Ruddy, Porter.

Carniny Youth 4, Hillsborough Colts 6: Carniny found themselves four goals down after 15 minutes and although Jack Kelly scored, Hillsborough restored their four goal advantage before half-time.

Early second half goals from Kelly and Young gave Carniny fresh hope but a sixth Colts goal put the game beyond the Ballymena boys before Jack Kelly completed his hat-trick with Carniny’s fourth goal.

Carniny: N Hanna, Duddy, Drain, Herron, D Hanna, Condron, Kelly, McKendry, Young, Stewart, McMeekin.


Carniny Youth 4, Abbey Villa 4: Carniny recovered from conceding a first minute goal to level within five minutes through Adams.

They again had to come from behind with Adams chipping the keeper to make it 2-2 at the interval.

In the second half Carniny went in front for the first time as Adams completed his hat-trick but they were pegged back by an Abbey Villa penalty.

The impressive Adams took his and his team’s tally to four with with two minutes left, Abbey earned a point following a goalmouth scramble.


Carniny Youth 0, Ridgeway Rovers 2: It was always a close game between these two adversaries and this game was no different.

Carniny suffered an early blow as they lost their captain Anderson to a nasty head injury that needed hospital treatment. Carniny went close when White hit the crossbar from 20 yards and Holba was unlucky with the rebound as the half finished scoreless.

After losing more players to injury and with no subs left, it looked like Carniny were going to hold out for the draw but with 5 minutes to go Ridgeway broke the deadlock to make it 1-0.

Carniny then threw caution to the wind to get the equaliser and Ridgeway took advantage and made it 2-0.

Carniny: McNicholl, Young, Simpson, Groocock, Holland, Anderson, White, Robinson, Hunter, Magee, Lynn, Rea, Hamilton and Holba.


Carniny Youth 1, Loughgall Youth 4: Against the run of play, Loughgall opened the scoring from a penalty.

Carniny were rattled by this and soon conceded again from a corner kick but they battled back in to it and McAllister pulled one back with a tidy finish.

Loughgall upped the pace in the 2nd half and scored to put themselves two ahead. Carniny never recovered from this and as they were pressing to get back into the game Loughgall scored again to seal the points.

Carniny: Kelly, Clyde, Kirk, McDonald, Fleming, Campbell, Murray, O’Neill, McAllister, Parker, Gordon, Woodin, Lorimer.


Result: Carniny Youth 1, Ballinamallard 1.


Carniny Youth 1, Ballymena United 2: After a scoreless first half, Ballymena took the lead when hesitation in the Carniny defence allowed a United player to bundle the ball over the line.

With ten minutes to go Ballymena doubled their lead and although Carniny got a goal back through Peter Rankin with five minutes left, they couldn’t force an equaliser.

Carniny: Kealey, Johnston, McVeigh, Holmes, McKee, Doherty, Greer, Graham, Hassan, Rankin, Young, Mucka, Hull, Lorimer, Stewart