Harryville Homers and Ahoghill Thistle book their places in Mortgage Solutions (Mill Street) Top Four Cup final

Darren Campbell broke the deadlock
Darren Campbell broke the deadlock

Harryville Homers got revenge for their final defeat last year to fierce rivals Carniny with this comfortable semi-final victory against an under strength Carniny side in the Mortgage Solutions (Mill Street) Top Four Cup.

Homers went close several times through Paul McNeill, Justin Rowe and Gary Bonnes before opening the scoring through Darren Campbell, so often the Nemesis of Carniny in the past.

The big midfielder got on the end of a Paul McNeill square ball in the box for 1-0. 

The second was scored courtesy of former Carniny player James Gracey when the powerful defender was on hand to head home from close range.

Carniny were given an unexpected lifeline just before half time when Dean Dunlop’s shot went in off the far post to half the deficit.

Homers restored their two-goal advantage just minutes after the restart. 

Alan Rainey raced onto an accurate through ball from Lee McGavock to slot home past the unprotected  Maculey Cairns. 

Paul McNeill made it four soon after when he showed more determination at the near post to head in Alan Rainey’s cross.

The goal of the game was reserved for Jason Logan.  The speedy front man’s run was spotted by Justin Rowe, whose slide rule pass put Logan through on goal to score number five.

Carniny scored a late consolidation goal through Bradley Cairns to round off the scoring.

Meanwhile, substitute George Courtney was the hero for Ahoghill Thistle as he struck the winner 12 minutes from time to send his side into the first final of the season.

Thistle earned a 2-1 win over All Saints OB to progress to the Top Four Cup decider.

They got a dream start when they took the lead after only six minutes. Matt Boyd playing in midfield picked the ball up 20 yards out and drilled a low shot in which Brian Martin saved but the ball fell to David Tennant to fire home from close range.

Saints drew level from the penalty spot after AlanTelford was bundled over inside the box.

Telford stepped up and coolly sent Sean Ward the wrong way to level the proceedings.

Thistle won it when George Courtney won possession and drove into the box, rounded Brian Martin and placed the ball into the empty net.