IRISH CUP: Eoin Bradley and Jamie McGonigle order a double as Coleraine beat Ballymena United at the Showgrounds

Ballymena United 0 Coleraine 4

Saturday, 4th March 2017, 4:54 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 11:04 am
Coleraine's Jamie McGonigle celebrates after giving his side the lead at the Showgrounds
Coleraine's Jamie McGonigle celebrates after giving his side the lead at the Showgrounds

Eoin Bradley and Jamie McGonigle both grabbed a double as Coleraine beat Ballymena United 4-0 in the quarter-finals of the Irish Cup at the Showgrounds.

And it was result that Oran Kearney's Coleraine side deserved as they bossed the game from start to finish against an out of sorts United side.

McGonigle opened the Bannsiders account in the 12th minute before Bradley made it 2-0 just before the break.

Five minutes after the break Bradley grabbed his second and then McGonigle added his side;s fourth in the 70 minute to book their place in the semi-finals.

United were not helped by the fact that Kyle Owens and Caolan Loughran both departed the action in the first half but this was a poor showing from the Sky Blues.

United started with the same side that saw off Ballinamallard United 2-1 last weekend - while the Bannsiders brought in Mark Edgar and Brad Lyons to their side after last weekend's draw to Cliftonville.

The game started at a good pace and it was the Bannsiders who took the lead in the 12th minute through Jamie McGonigle. A through ball released McGonigle, his first effort was half cleared by keeper Ross Glendinning for the striker to shoot home into the unguarded goal.

United were ten reduced to ten men in the 14th minute as defenders Kyle Owens and Caolan Loughran clashed heads and Owens had to leave the pitch for treatment.

Coleraine had the ball in the net again in the 26th minute but it was disallowed for a David Ogilby push in the box.

Ogilby then had a great chance to put his side 2-0 up in the 30 minute but he flashed his header from a corner over the bar.

United had a chance in the 36th minute through a Tony Kane free-kick after a foul on Friel. This time however Kane's free-kick was just off target.

Tehn Coleraine were awarded a penalty in the 39 minute but Darren McCauley's penalty - that was well struck - was well pushed away by Glendinning in the United goal.

A lucky escape for Ballymena who were struggling to get to grips with the Bannsiders.

United's afternoon got worse min the 42 minute as Loughran had to be replaced by Joe McKinney.

Then right on the stroke of half-time it was 2-0. A long ball released Eoin Bradley and he chipped the advancing Glendinning. It was a quality finish from the striker.

Five minutes after the break it was 3-0 with Bradley again getting the finish. A high ball was dropped by Glendinning and Bradley was on hand to slot home.

Bradley could have grabbed his third and Coleraine's fourth in the 65th minute. The strikers first time shot flying wide from a free-kick.

It was 4-0 with 20 minutes to go as McGonigle grabbed his second of the afternoon after more awful United defending.

McMurray had a chance for United near the death but his effort flew wide.

Ballymena: Glendinning, Kane, Owens (Thompson 31mins), Jenkins, McCloskey ( Braniff 55mins), Faulkner, Friel, Ervin, Millar, McMurray, Loughran (McKinney, 42mins)

Subs not used: Allen and McCaffrey.

Coleraine: Johns, Kane, Edgar, Ogilby, McConaghie, Lyons (Parkhill 83mins), Harkin, Kee, McCauley, McGonigle (Allan 86mins), Bradley (McLaughlin 80 mins).

Subs not used: McCafferty and Doherty.

Referee: Tim Marshall