Little joy for Carniny Youth sides in shortened weekend fixture list

Carniny Youth's J Campbell in action during Saturday's game with Ballymoor at the Showgrounds 3G pitch. INBT 46-184CS
Carniny Youth's J Campbell in action during Saturday's game with Ballymoor at the Showgrounds 3G pitch. INBT 46-184CS

It was a fairly quiet weekend for Carniny Youth Football Club last Saturday with only five of the club’s twelve teams in action.

The transfer tests and ‘free weeks’ meant a number of the club teams had no matches.

Carniny U15's A Woodin during Saturday's game with Ballymoor at the Showgrounds 3G pitch. INBT 46-185CS

Carniny U15's A Woodin during Saturday's game with Ballymoor at the Showgrounds 3G pitch. INBT 46-185CS

The Under 10s enjoyed a win up in the North West Youth League against Portrush Youth.

The Under 13s played out a draw with Rosario in the South Belfast Youth League. Elsewhere there was no joy for the 15s, 17s and 19s who lost out to Ballymoor, Institute and Moyola Park respectively.

The Under 8s and 9s continued to gain experience playing in the Small Sided Games Centres at Ballymena Showgrounds on Friday nights and Saturday mornings. There were no games for the 11s, 12s, 14s and 16s over the weekend.

The club would like to wish a speedy return to action for their U19 player, Luke Calderwood who suffered a serious facial injury during their match with Moyola Park in the NIFL Youth League at the weekend.

Carniny's C McDonald in action during Saturday's game with Ballymoor at the Showgrounds 3G pitch. INBT 46-187CS

Carniny's C McDonald in action during Saturday's game with Ballymoor at the Showgrounds 3G pitch. INBT 46-187CS

The club’s FDC was unfortunately cancelled due to waterlogged pitches.


Carniny Youth 5, Portrush Youth 3: Carniny started off as the stronger side with Bell making an excellent strike and good finish from outside the box only four minutes into the game. Although Portrush were quick to come back and equalise this did not deter the Carniny boys.

With some very impressive passing between McPeake, Bell and T Wylie they showed a lot of maturity in their game play and this paid off when McPeake made it 2-1 with a deflected shot. McPeake quickly made it 3-1 with a sneaky shot into the back of the net.

J.Wylie, Young and Brogan all were playing strong in defence but Portrush pulled one back making it 3-2 at half time.

Portrush started off the second half getting a lucky goal to equalise when C McCorriston made an excellent save but it fell out of his hands and rolled over the line.

Donaghy was showing great potential up front and neatly got the ball in the back of the net to put Carniny in the lead again. T. Wylie was itching for a goal throughout the match and he finally got one when L McCorriston took a corner kick which Wylie got his head to get him that well deserved goal.

Carniny: C.McCorriston, Brogan, Young, J.Wylie, McPeake, T.Wylie, Bell, Donaghy, L.McCorriston.


Carniny Youth 2, Rosario 2: Carniny’s early endeavour and work rate paid off in the 8th minute when Rosario couldn’t deal with a Pogue corner with the ‘fox in the box’ Adams was there to finish from close range to make it six for the season.

Carniny played some excellent football to make it 2-0 after 20 minutes when McMullan, Pogue and Young carved through the Rosario team to slip the ball into Adams. The forward remained composed and chipped the ball into the top corner of the net from 20 yards.

Rosario pressed after the start and were through on goal only for McAuley to make a brilliant double save. It was nearly 3-0 on the stroke of half time when Gregg let fly from 20 yards only to see his curling effort strike the bar.

Rosario started the second half on the front foot and it was McAuley again who came to his teams rescue by making another double save at his near post.

The game changed when Rosario were awarded a free kick 13 minutes into the second half. The ball was driven at the Carniny wall and the referee harshly adjudged that the ball had struck Pogue’s arm. A penalty was awarded and McAuley almost got his hand to it as he dived to his right.

With only a minute to go Rosario’s forward latched onto a through ball and placed his shot past the oncoming keeper - a cruel end to a match which saw Carniny play some of their best football of the season.


Carniny Youth 2, Ballymoor 4: Carniny started the brighter and opened the scoring with a long ball from O’Neill in the Carniny goal over the top and McAllister raced through to tuck away in the bottom right hand corner.

More good attacking football from Carniny saw Clyde nod home from a Campbell corner. Against the run of play Ballymoor pulled one back.

Ballymoor came out for the second half more fired up and had Carniny pressed back. With this pressure they equalised.

Now Carniny had to work hard and press forward but with this space appeared which Ballymoor exploited to score another two goals. Carniny: O’Neill, Clyde, Lorimer, McDonald, Kirk, Fleming, Parker, Gordon, Murray, McAllister, Campbell, Woodin, Kelly, Shaw, Gaynor.


Carniny Youth 0, Institute 2: Carniny U17s travelled to the splendid Meadowbank stadium in Magherafelt to play a ‘home’ game against Institute U17s in the NIBFA Subway Elite National league.

On the thirty minute mark Institute scored when one of their players got in behind the Carniny defence and rounded goalkeeper Gareth Kealey to tap the ball into an empty net.

The second half started much the same as the first with Institute having more of the possession but the Carniny defence were restricting their players to long range shots and Gareth Kealey in the Carniny goal was able to deal with anything that came his way.

Midway through the second half Institute increased their lead to 0-2. Carniny then had their best spell of the game with substitute Nico McCrudden coming close on two occasions first when his lob went narrowly over the bar and then when he found himself clear he couldn’t find a way past the Institute goalkeeper.

Carniny: Kealey, McComb, McVeigh, Hull, Stewart, Doherty, Greer, Graham, Young, Rankin, Mucka, Holmes, Lorimer, Hassan, McCrudden.


Carniny Youth 2, Moyola Park Youth 3: Carniny opened the scoring after 15 minutes when Jaworski played Price through to head over the advancing keeper.

On the half hour mark the home side equalised after Carniny failed to clear their lines. Moyola then took the lead on 35 minutes before the Ballymena reds drew levelled on the half time whistle when a delightful pass from Agnew was volleyed home by Armstrong.

Into the second half both sides had numerous chances with the best from Carniny coming when a Doherty shot struck the post and an Armstrong effort was shot straight at the home keeper.

On 70 minutes Carniny lost Calderwood with a serious facial injury and as Carniny re organised their defence the home side scored what proved to be the winning goal with a header from a corner kick.

Carniny: McCormick, Calderwood, Hull, McCann, Jaworski, Johnston, Agnew, Doherty, Armstrong, Elder, Price, Godfrey