More Corner cup heroics as they dump Newtowne


Chimney Corner produced more cup heroics in last weekend’s Ballymena & Provincial League action.

The Allen Park men followed up their O’Gorman Cup win the previous week by defeat Newtowne to move into the semi-finals of the Crawford Cup.


Chimney Corner 3, Newtowne 2: Manager Martin Etherson’s decision to persevere with young players, particularly from the club’s youth set-up, continues to pay dividends with this superb result.

A penalty concerted by Craig Leaworthy on the 6th minute put Corner ahead then a goal scored by Paul McIntyre direct from a corner on the 12th minute saw them two goals in front.

Newtowne got back into the game after Jonny Duddy scored on the 39th minute then on the 43rd minute Craig Leaworthy with his second goal in the game restored Corner’s two goals advantage.

Newtowne threw everything into attack in the second half and were back in with a chance after Gary Moore scored on the 66th minute but Corner played it tight at the back to claim the win at the end.


Result: Magherafelt Sky Blues Reserves 2, Antrim Rovers 2.


Clough Rangers 3, Remo FC 2: There was an early flurry of goals with Eoin Bradley scoring to put Remo in front on the 2nd minute. Clough replied to this with Gary Hamilton converting a penalty on the 5th minute.

Remo regained the lead after Jon Fox converted a penalty on the 15th minute and the score stayed this way until the 75th minute when Gary Hamilton hit home the equaliser for Clough giving the teams a share of the points.

Wakehurst Strollers 6, Moyola Park Olympic 1: The Strollers went in front after Michael Armstrong scored on the 10th minute then doubled their advantage through an own goal on the 20th minute.

Darren Scullion pulled a goal back for Moyola on the 45th minute cutting the deficit at the break.

John Alexander restored the Strollers two goal lead on the 55th minute then goals from Jamie Spiers on the 75th minute and Peter Adams on the 81st and 85th minutes completed the scoring.