More frustration for Carniny Youth sides

Carniny Youth Under 17 who played Cookstown at Ballymena Showgrounds 3G pitch on Friday evening. INBT 04-173CS
Carniny Youth Under 17 who played Cookstown at Ballymena Showgrounds 3G pitch on Friday evening. INBT 04-173CS

It was another frustrating week for Carniny Youth with the weather taking its toll once again on the Saturday fixtures.

The two games that did go ahead were the U15 and 17 games that were played on Friday night but unfortunately both teams lost out to Bertie Peacock and St Oliver Plunketts respectively.


Carniny Youth 0, Bertie Peacock Youth 2: Carniny and Bertie’s made the journey to Moyola for this game under lights.

WIth three new signings in the Carniny ranks, the game was very open with both sides looking to push forward at every opportunity.

Carniny had a half chance when Kelly in the midfield seen his strike fly over the bar. Bertie’s had a half chance as well when a shot was tipped over the bar by O’Neill in the Carniny goal.

Both teams came out for the second half ready to go and it was Carniny who were the brighter pushing forward looking for openings.

With the space of pushing forward it was Bertie’s who opened the scoring.

The sucker punch came when Bertie’s doubled their lead. Carniny continued to work till the final whistle but it wasn’t to be.

Carniny: O’Neill, Fleming, McDonald, Brady, Oueslati, Parker, Campbell, Kelly, Patchett, O’Boyle, Shaw, Smyth, McAllister, Murray, Gaynor.


Carniny Youth 0, St Oliver Plunkett 4: An under strength Carniny U17s travelled to the impressive Crumlin complex to play St Oliver Plunkett U17s in the NIBFA Subway Elite National league.

Carniny came more into the game winning several corners and creating a number of chances the highlight of which was a rasping thirty yard drive from Lewis McKee which just grazed the Plunkett crossbar in a scoreless first half.

Within the first five minutes of the second half Plunkett scored with a good shot from outside the penalty area.

Carniny tried to get back into the game but with about twenty minutes left were hit with a sucker punch when a shot from a Plunkett player took a wicked deflection and finished up in the net.

Good work along the right wing by Stephen Greer saw his pass find Conor Doherty but his shot just went wide. This was Carniny’s last chance to get back into the game and in the last five minutes Plunkett scored two further goals.

Carniny: Kealey, Hull, Henderson, Lemon, McKee, McVeigh, Johnston, Greer, McDonnell, Hassan, Doherty, McCrudden, Stewart, Lorimer.