Rainy weather continues to cause frustration for Carniny Youth sides

Caniny Youth's Macief Machkan  holds off a Ballymoney Youth opponent. INBT 50-180CS
Caniny Youth's Macief Machkan holds off a Ballymoney Youth opponent. INBT 50-180CS

The wet weather took its toll on Carniny Youth FC’s games this weekend with three matches called off for the U11 and U12 teams.

The U14s played out an exciting 3-3 draw with Portadown Youth with a brace from Lee Lynn and a debut goal from Mark Butler.

Carniny Amateur and Youth FC Under 12s receiving their SSQ Slates sponsored training kit from SSQ's Jim Stevenson

Carniny Amateur and Youth FC Under 12s receiving their SSQ Slates sponsored training kit from SSQ's Jim Stevenson

Elsewhere it was a NIBFA Cup exit for the U13s against Crumlin Star and there were defeats for the 15s and 17s against Ballinamallard and Ballymoney respectively.


Carniny Amateur and Youth FC will continue their welcome partnership with Sunderland when they look forward to another visit from the Foundation of Light Coaches in the New Year. The club negotiated links with the North East Premiership on a team visit to the Stadium of Light last season. Having held coaching and coach education sessions over a two day period in Ballymena in the summer, this time the Sunderland based club will bring over more coaching staff and will also be bring over some of their youth development teams, who will play matches against some of the young Carniny Youth sides.


Carniny Youth U17's Stewart Holmes in action against Ballymoney Youth. INBT 50-178CS

Carniny Youth U17's Stewart Holmes in action against Ballymoney Youth. INBT 50-178CS

Result: Carniny Youth 3, Shankill Utd 5.


Result: Carniny Youth 0, Crumlin Star 2.


Carniny Youth 3, Portadown 3: Carniny had a big task on their hands to beat defending NIBFA Cup holders Portadown on their home turf.

Carniny had drew with the Ports at home already this season so were optimistic. Carniny started well and passed the ball about with ease and control.

The new strike force of Scullion and Butler worked well and always looked dangerous. Magee went on his usual mazey runs and caused panic in the Portadown defence. The defence of Anderson, Simpson, Young and Groocock were solid and nullified the threat of Portadown’s ‘Premiership’ strike force.

It was Lynn who broke the deadlock when he broke free on the left and hit an unstoppable shot into the far right bottom corner. The midfield of Robinson and Holba was strong and as well as breaking Portadown’s attacks they always looked to push forward.

Portadown then equalised with a great drive but Carniny would be disappointed that he was closed down. Just as it looked that the first half was going to finish even it was that man Lynn that got his second from a trademark free kick to end the half 2-1 Carniny.

Robinson had to go off injured and was replaced by Devlin. Butler was rested and replaced by Hamilton. Portadown then equalised again from a free kick of their own and then went 3-2 up.

Carniny weren’t to be denied something from the game. Hamilton and Devlin started to get a grip again of the midfield with some tough tackling and hard work closing down. Hunter came on for Magee with the hope of getting at least a point from the game. Lynn almost got his hat trick when he hit the bar.

McNicholl in goals pushed a Portadown free kick over the bar and pushed a couple of efforts past the post to keep Carniny in the game.

The new front duo of Scullion and Hunter worked tirelessly and didn’t give the Portadown defence a second to settle.

It was Scullions run with the ball that caused panic and forced a foul on the outside of the box with only 5 minutes to go. The crowd held their breath as Lynn stepped up to take it.

His effort forced a save from the keeper and Butler was there to get his first goal for Carniny and Carniny’s third of the day to make it 3-3. A great ending to a very competitive and even game.

Carniny should be proud of their performance today. Every player in the squad played their part. If they can bring this display into next week’s game against Derry Colts they will have nothing to worry about.

Carniny: McNicholl, Young, Anderson, Simpson, Lynn, Magee, Holba, Robinson, Scullion, Butler, Groocock, Hunter, Hamilton, Devlin.


Carniny Youth 0, Ballinamallard 5: Carniny made the long journey in awful conditions to Enniskillen for the game.

Ballinamallard started the brighter of the two sides and with the wind behind them put Carniny under pressure and soon had themselves in front. With the conditions causing havoc Carniny conceded a penalty and the striker made no mistake from twelve yards.

Carniny struggled to make an impression on the game and just before half time conceded again.

The second half began with Carniny trying to contain the attacks. But were unable to and conceded again.

A few changes made by Carniny had them making a couple of chances through Woodin and Fleming none which troubled the keeper. Ballinamallard scored near the end to complete a miserable day all round for Carniny.

Carniny: O’Neill, Clyde, Gordon, Kirk, Lorimer, McDonald, Murray, Parker, Campbell, Kelly, McAllister, Woodin, Fleming, Gaynor.


Carniny Youth 1, Ballymoney United YA 2: On Friday evening Carniny U17s welcomed Ballymoney U17s to a blustery Ballymena Showgrounds in the NIBFA Subway Elite National league.

Carniny probably lost this game in the first half when playing with a gale force wind at their backs they failed to convert several chances.

The best of these fell to Peter Rankin and Bailie Young but they were ably dealt with by the Ballymoney goalkeeper.

Ballymoney had one good chance in the first half when one of their players broke free down the Carniny right and his cross caused some confusion in the Carniny defence but they managed to clear as the half ended scoreless.

Carniny came under a lot of pressure in the opening stages of the second half playing into a strengthening wind.

They conceded a goal when a corner kick caught the wind and found its way into the net. Carniny started to master the conditions midway through the half and were playing a lot better creating a couple of half chances.

With ten minutes to go Carniny equalised when good work by the impressive Conor Doherty left Aaron Johnston free to shoot past the keeper and into the net.

With five minutes left on the clock Ballymoney scored what proved to be the winner when a good shot found its way into the Carniny net.

Credit to both teams who battled hard to overcome trying weather conditions.

Carniny: Kealey, Johnston, McComb, McVeigh, McKee, Mucka, Holmes, Doherty, Hassan, Young, Rankin, Hull, Stewart, Nash, McCrudden.


Carniny Amateur and Youth FC are currently on the look out for enthusiastic aspiring coaches to join their progressive local football club. The club are particularly interested in recruiting coaches for their Football Development Centre currently catering for children born in 2011, 2010, 2009 and 2009. Coaches will have the opportunity to achieve Coerver Coaching Diploma award and will also be progressed by the club through the Irish FA Coaching ladder.