SML round-up: Homers complete domestic ‘treble’ with Rainey Cup win

Harryville Homers celebrate their success over Clough Rangers in the Rainey Cup final. INBT 23-906H
Harryville Homers celebrate their success over Clough Rangers in the Rainey Cup final. INBT 23-906H

Harryville Homers completed a domestic treble by winning the Rainey Cup for the fourth season in a row at the weekend.

Robert Duddy’s men produced a hard-working performance to defeat a depleted Clough Rangers side 4-1 at Allen Park.

In a re run of last years final Homers took the lead after only three minutes. David Nicholl whipped a corner in to the near post and Gary Bonnes flicked the ball home.

Clough then had two chances when Jordan Leighton broke clear but he failed to trouble Alex McCosh on both occasions.

On 10 minutes Homers doubled their lead when Ryan Stewart hit a speculative long ball into the box and Gary Bonnes rose highest to head the ball over Ally McIlroy in the Clough goal.

Late in the half Ryan Stewart and Mark McKay both went close for Homers before on the stroke of half time Gary Bonnes dragged a shot wide as Homers failed to add to their lead.

Straight from the restart Clough almost got a goal back when Bryan Logan broke clear but his shot was saved by Alex McCosh.

Six minutes into the half Homers made it 3-0 when Jasin Magill charged down a Clough defender before racing clear and coolly slotting into the corner of the net.

Five minutes later a corner from Adam Whitehurst was net by the head of Jonathan Rice but his header cannoned off the bar and hit a Homers players hand and a penalty kick was awarded. Jordan Leighton smashed the ball down the middle giving Alex McCosh no chance to make it 3-1.

With 10 minutes to go Homers sealed the victory when an Ian Russell free kick into the box was half cleared to Ryan Stewart and he fired the ball into the top corner of the net from 18 yards out.

After the final whistle sponsor Alex Rainey handed the Rainey Cup over to Jason McKay and Richard Forsythe of Harryville Homers and the quadruple celebrations began.

Clough Rangers: Ally McIlroy, Jonathan McCloy, Aaron Foster, Jonathan Rice, Richard Ross, Bryan Logan, Adrian McDonald, Jordan Leighton, Robbie Sutherland, Adam Whitehurst, Chris McDonald. Subs: Kyle McRoberts, Aaron Stewart, Colin Stewart, Mark Egerton.

Harryville Homers: Alex McCosh, David Nicholl, Ryan Stewart, Ian Russell, Jason McKay, Gary Baird, Mark McKay, Gary Bonnes, Alan Rainey, Jasin Magill, Marcus Spratt.

Subs: David McWhirter, Jason Ritchie, Ryan Martin, Geoff Mitchell and Jason Logan.


All Saints OB 1, Clough Rangers 2: Earlier in the week. Clough booked their place in the final by beating All Saints.

After winning their appeal against their dismissal from the competition, Clough got off to the perfect start when they took the lead in this semi final after three minutes.

Steven Gage knocked a brilliant ball in behind the Saints defence for Ricky Dunlop who curled the ball beyond Brian Martin.

Clough then had a goal disallowed when David Gage scorer but the goal was ruled out for offside.

Saints put Clough under a lot of pressure at the start of the second half and their pressure paid off 11 minutes in. Peter McReynolds’ goal bound effort from a Barry Hamill corner was handled on the line by a Clough player and the penalty was awarded and Clough reduced to 10 men. Stephen Sexton stepped up and fired the spot kick beyond the reach of Ally McIlroy to level the game up.

This didn’t seem to affect Clough as 12 minutes later they regained the lead. Richard Gregg clipped a free kick into the box and David Gage flicked the ball over Brian Martin and into the net for the winner.