Title-chasing Homers to ‘four’ with decisive first half performance

Harryville Homers Alan Rainey manages to block the pass of Raceview's Mark Watson. INBT15-220AC
Harryville Homers Alan Rainey manages to block the pass of Raceview's Mark Watson. INBT15-220AC

Harryville Homers didn’t stand on ceremony as they eased step towards the firmus energy Saturday Morning League title on Saturday.

Robert Duddy’s side moved three points closer to a third successive crown with a 4-0 win over Raceview - with all four goals coming in the first half.

The all important breakthrough came aftrt 9 minutes when Gary Bonnes split the Raceview defence with a delightful through ball which sent Jason Logan clear and he slipped the ball under the advancing Raceview keeper Dean Adams to open the scoring.

Ten minutes later it was two nil when Marcus Spratt did well to keep a ball like looked to be going out and as Raceview appealed for an out ball he played the ball across the face of the goal and when Adams failed to hold the ball Gary Bonnes scrambled the ball home.

It was no surprise when Homers got their third half way through the half when Jasin Magill chased what looked like a lost cause to collect the ball on the left and sent in a low cross which Gary Bonnes hammered goalwards only for keeper Adams to pull off a great save but Jasin Magill followed up to fire home.

The game was killed off 3 minutes to half time when a poor kick out by Raceview was pounced on by Bonnes who raced clear. Again his shot was blocked by Dean Adams but again Jasin Magill was on hand to send Homers in four up at half time.

In the second half on one of the occasions when Raceview breached the Homers defence, keeper Alex McCosh came out of his goal and handled the ball but the referee only awarded a free kick which Raceview squandered.

Raceview’s caused was helped 15 minutes into the half when Homers had a man sent off for violent conduct. Although Raceview had more possession after the sending off, the only real chance they had was a Colin Craig header when he was left with an open goal but put the ball wide.


Newpark Olympic 1, Carnlough Swifts 0: It wasn’t long before Newpark opened the scoring with Stephen Brown after good work from James Brown and Jamie Nutter.

Olympic came close again through James Brown and Ryan Carson in the second half but although they couldn’t get the all important second goal, they held on to move nine points clear at the top.


Wednesday, April 8 (6.30pm) - firmus energy Division One: FC Penarol v Harryville Homers (Showgrounds 5); Clough Rangers v Michelin (Clough); Ahoghill Thistle v Connor FC (Ahoghill).

firmus energy Division Two: Newpark Olympic v Seven Towers; Glenravel v Cullybackey Olympic (Showgrounds 4); Lisnafillan Swifts v Ahoghill Rovers; Riverdale v Waveney Swifts (Wakehurst 2).

Saturday, April 11 (10.15am) - Rainey Cup, round three: Templepatrick v Riverdale (Forum); All Saints OB v Ballykeel (Showgrounds 5); Cloughmills v Cushendall; Connor FC v Holywell (Connor).

George McAuley Cup Quarter Final: Seven Towers v Lisnafillan Swifts (Showgrounds 4).

CGRSC Sammy Moore Cup Semi Final, second leg: Randalstown [4] v Rectory Rovers [2].

firmus energy Division One: Carniny Rangers v Ahoghill Thistle (Wakehurst 2); FC Antrim v Raceview (Forum).

firmus energy Division Two: Newpark Olympic v Ahoghill Rovers; St Comgalls v Glenravel.

firmus energy Division Three: Sporting Ballymoney v Atletico Antrim; Wakehurst Star v Steadfast (Dunfane 1).

County Antrim Post O’Kane Cup final (1.30pm) - Clough Rangers v Harryville Homers (Broughshane).