Two Carniny teams claim Vase success in busy week at Foyle Cup

Carniny Youth Under 14s - 2002s who won the Foyle Vase last week
Carniny Youth Under 14s - 2002s who won the Foyle Vase last week

Last week saw six Carniny Amateur and Youth FC teams return from the 2016 Hughes Insurance Foyle Cup tournament in the north west.

The U10, 11, 12, 14, 15 and 17 squads were all in action in what was a busy week for the local Ballymena club.

Carniny Youth Under 15s - 2001s who won the Foyle Vase last week

Carniny Youth Under 15s - 2001s who won the Foyle Vase last week

All teams came away from the tournament gaining great experiences with two team from the club playing against Sheffield Utd and Glasgow Celtic teams.

Two of the teams returned home with Silverware, with Davy Parker’s 2001 Under 15 Squad winning the U15 Foyle vase after a 3-0 win against Ballycastle Utd and Jason Hunter’s 2002- Under 14s also winning the Foyle Vase competition at their age group.


An impressive first day at Magee saw the boys coming home with a 2 - 0 win against Tristar and a 2 - 2 draw against Don Boscos.

Carniny Youth's U11 Foyle cup Squad

Carniny Youth's U11 Foyle cup Squad

The second day saw the team travel to Leafair to face Limavady Utd where the boys suffered their first defeat 3 - 1. On the third day of the tournament the wee Carniny boys headed to St. Columbs Park where they had a 1 - 0 win against St. Oliver Plunkett Colts and a 3 - 0 defeat against Alieach FC.

Thursday morning saw the boys playing the last of their group stage games at Magee which ended up a scoreless draw against Ballyraine FC. As a result of this the boys ended up 4th in their group to see them now playing in the quarter final of the Shield competition against Top of the Hill Celtic. The match ended 0 - 0 which meant the dreaded ‘penalty shootout’ . Carniny were unlucky to lose out at this stage 6 - 5 in penalties.

Carniny arrived at Magee on the 5th and final day of the tournament to firstly face Ballymoor FC which unfortunately saw them defeated 3 - 2. Their last match of the tournament against Albion Star saw Carniny 2 - 0 down within the first 5 minutes but they continued to press forward and ended the game with a 3 - 3 draw. This fantastic comeback resulted in another ‘penalty shootout’ where it was unfortunate to see the boys lose out 2-1.

Carniny; O’Loan, Young, Clarke, J.Wylie, Brogan, T.Wylie, McPeake, Bell, Donaghy, Adger, MCCaughern


Carniny 0, Strabane Athletic 0: Neither side could fashion a goal in the tournament opener.

Carniny 3, Albion Star 0: After a long wait in the hot sun Carniny started slowly and struggled against their more physical opponents. Magee put Carniny ahead just before half-time and second half goals from McMullan and Greer set the seal on an impressive victory.

Carniny 3, Roe Valley Colts 0: Carniny continued their good form in their only game on the Tuesday thanks to a Magee hat-trick.

Carniny 1, Letterkenny Rovers 2: Carniny needed to win this one to have a chance of topping the group but fell behind to the first goal they had conceded in the tournament. An own goal brought the scores level but Rovers went on to grab a winner.

Carniny 4, Top of the Hill Celtic 0: Waith Carniny assured of third in the group, they went out with no pressure against the group winners and goals from C McMullan (2) and Magee (2) clinched an impressive win.

Carniny 0, Glenavon 3: Glenavon’s opening goal knocked Carniny’s confidence and the Ballymena boys conceded two more.

Carniny 0, Lisburn Youth 2: Starting to tire from the week’s exertions, Carniny conceded two late goals from corners.

Carniny 2, Culmore 0: Carniny finished their campaign on a high note tahnks to goals from Kennedy and C McMullan.

Carniny: Tweed, K McMullan, Greer, C McMullan, McKee, Kennedy, Magee, Turner, Douglas, Scott, Murray.


The Under 12s went to Foyle cup with little experience of 11 a side football and came through the group stages by improving in every game. They met Bertie Peacocks and after a hard fought match they won on penalties 4-2.

In the semi-final, against ST Oliver Plunkett, Carniny were dealt a blow when they had a man sent off and two late goals eventually saw them lose 3-0.

In their sixth game of the week, Carniny met Rosario to decide third place in the Foyle Shield and they rounded off a great week by winning 5-3.

SQUAD Hanna Farrenden Clarke Murray Porter Duddy Hanna Robinson Kelly Ruddy Larkin Device Kennedy S McAuley C McAuley


In their opening game, Carniny fell short of their own high standards as they lost 4-0 to Innishowen.

The second game was the one everyone was looking forward to, against Scottish gianst Celtic and the boys put in a highly crediatble performance, with two of the goals in a 3-0 defeat coming in the closing minutes.

It didn’t get any easier in the third game, against last year’s finalists Donegal Schoolboys and the Ballymena side again succumbed to a late goal in a 1-0 loss.

In the Vase competition Carniny scored their first goals of the week through Simpson, Hamilton and WHite to see off Castlefinn Celtic.

And they clinched the trophy in emphatic style with a 6-1 win over Strabane in the final.


The under-15s had a tough start with a 3-0 defeat by Foyle Harps, who scored two late penalties. Their second game also ended in defeat against Inishowen Youth League.

On the Wednesday, Carniny lost 2-1 to Bertie Peacocks, despite a goal from Clyde.

Into the Foyle Vase, Carniny romped to a 10-2 win over Institute with goals from McAllister (2) Sloan (4) Wooden (2) Patchett (2).

And they continued that good form in the final agianst Ballycastle when goals from Sloan, McAllister and McKitterick clinched the trophy.

Squad: Fry Kirk Clyde Oueslati Fleming McKitterick Patchett Brady Campbell Kelly Parker O Boyle McAllister Sloan Woodin.


Carniny opened their campaign with a 3-2 defeat by Institute, despite two goals from Rankin. Their second game, against Belfast side Loughside, ended in a 1-1 draw with Greer scoring but Carniny’s real hero was keeper Kealey who produced an outstanding display.

The third game, against Letterkenny Rovers was the proverbial ‘game of two halves’ with Herbison giving them the lead with a cheeky lob. The second half saw a different Rovers side emerge and before long the scores were level. A draw would probably been a fair result but a header from the Letterkenny striker found its way through the Amateurs defence and into the net for the winning goal.

In the Rosebowl final, Carniny’s last game of the week was a 4-1 defeat by Newbuildings, with Rankin on target.

Overall, it wasn’t the best run of results but it was a great experience for the boys.