Under-16s are Carniny’s star turn with ‘derby’ defeat of Ballymena

A Carniny Youth U-16 player wins a commanding header. INBT 41-939H
A Carniny Youth U-16 player wins a commanding header. INBT 41-939H

Carniny Youth Under 16s were the club’s headline act last weekend as they ran out 4-2 winners in the local derby with Ballymena United.

The Under 10s were delighted to get the first win of their campaign in their second game in the North West league, scoring five against Maiden City.

A Carniny Youth player turns his Ballymena United opponent during Saturday's under-16 match at the Showgrounds. INBT 41-940H

A Carniny Youth player turns his Ballymena United opponent during Saturday's under-16 match at the Showgrounds. INBT 41-940H

In the National League on Friday night the Under17s continued their unbeaten run playing out a 1-1 draw with Larne Youth. The Under 14s also had to settle for a share of the points in a 4-4 draw with Portadown Youth. Also on the Friday night the Under15s found Glenavon too much losing out to the Lurgan Blues.

It was Shield action down in the Lisburn League, but there were no teams to progress with the 11s and 12s losing out to Linfield, Warrenpoint and Lurgan Town respectively.

The Under 8s and Under 9s were glad to see some game action with teams playing in the Friday Night SSGs and Saturday Morning SSGs at the Showgrounds.

Saturday afternoon also saw the club’s Coerver FDC the chance to test their skills learnt on Monday evenings at the SSGs on Saturday afternoon at the Showgrounds.

Carniny Youth under-16s control possession against Ballymena. INBT 41-927H

Carniny Youth under-16s control possession against Ballymena. INBT 41-927H

If anyone wishes to enrol their child there may be some places still available depending on age group and they should contact the club as soon as possible to secure a place. Please contact Linda Boyd on 07788548780. Alternatively contact via email davy.boyd.work@googlemail.com.


Carniny Youth 5, Maiden City 1: The under-10s produced a great display of team work and should be proud of an accomplished performance.

Goals came from an O’Loan brace - his first goals for the club - Wylie, L McCorriston and Mcpeake.

Carniny: C McCorriston, L McCorriston, S Young, C Clarke, B McCaughey, T Wylie, A McPeake, C Adger, L O’Loan.


Carniny Youth 1, Linfield 6: Carniny were well in in this game in the opening stages and an early Linfield opener was cancelled out when Cormac McMullan turned his man to fire home an equaliser.

The game got away from Carniny as Linfield scored three quick goals before half-time and they continued their dominance after the break.


Carniny Youth 4, Celtic Boys 5: Carniny made a great start to this game with early goals from Adams but tey were pegged back to 2-2 at half-time.

In the second half, Kerr scored a goal of the season contender from a 25-yard free kick but Celtic replied with three goals before Pogue gave Carniny some hope with a late goal but they couldn’t fashion an equaliser.


Carniny Youth 4, Portadown Youth 4: Carniny came from a goal down to race into a 3-1 lead thanks to goals from Lynn (2) and Anderson but they conceded a penalty just before the break to make it 3-2 at half-time.

Portadown equalised and then went ahead in the second half but Carniny rescued a point when Young’s cross caused all sorts of confusion and there Lynn was on hand to complete his hat-trick.

Carniny: McNicholl, Robinson, Simpson, Young, Holland, Groocock, White, Anderson, Holba, Hamilton Devlin, Scullion, Hunter, Rea, Lynn, Magee.


Carniny Youth 0, Glenavon 6: Carniny found themselves 3-0 down at the break and as they tried to get back into the game, they left gaps at the back that the Lurgan Blues exploited to the full.

Carniny: Shaw, Clyde, Fleming, Kirk, McDonald, Murray, Parker, Gordon, O’Neill, McAllister, White, Woodin, Campbell.


Carniny Youth 4, Ballymena United 2: Both teams were evenly matched until Ballymena made a mistake in their own box when Daly beat his defender for pace and was upended by the defender.

Up stepped Dawkins to convert the resultant penalty and make it one nil to Carniny on the stroke of half time.

Ballymena made a few changes at half time and a wonder strike drew them level within minutes of the restart. From all off 25 yards the ball rocketed into the back of the net.

Ballymena took hold of the game in the next 5 to 10 mins and pushed hard for the goal to give them lead but Carniny stood firm and weathered the storm and deservedly went in front when McKernan got his first of the season with a fine finish from just inside the box.

McKernan worked tirelessly upfront and got his second and Carniny’s third when Leetch in right back played a perfect ball over the top for McKernan to run onto and coolly slot home.

With a good 10 mins still remaining Carniny continued attacking and sealed the game with the best worked goal of the game. Carniny broke up a Ballymena attack deep in their own half and the football that followed was sublime. One touch from box to box and a very cool finish from Carley to seal the game and give Carniny all 3 three points. Ballymena scored a very late consolation goal from a free kick but this was Carniny’s day.

Carniny: O’Brien, Leetch, Lemon, Henderson, Downey, Little, Daly, Scullion, Dawkins, McDonnell, McKernan, Burton, Evans, Carley.


Carniny Youth 1, Larne Youth 1: After a scoreless first half, in which Carniny keeper Gareth Kealey excelled, Larne went in front when a ball was allowed to reach one of their players inside the Carniny penalty area and he managed to score.

Jordan Hassan was now becoming more influential down the Carniny left and it was Hassan who was to equalise with a sweet finish from a Conor Doherty cross.

Carniny: Kealey, Johnston, McVeigh, Hull, McKee, Doherty, Graham, Holmes, Greer, Rankin, Young, Hassan, Grant, Lorimer, Stewart, Mucka,


Carniny Youth 0, Linfield 4: Linfield began this Harry Cavan Youth Cup game on the front foot and immediately pushed Carniny back deep into their own half.

After 13mins Linfield took the lead when a cross from the right was not cleared and their striker fired home from 8 yards.

Linfield doubled their lead after 17 mins with a fine shot from the edge of the area. It was 3 nil to the Blues after 23 mins when a cross from the Carniny right was headed in at the back post.

The second half saw more Linfield pressure with Carniny’s midfield of Price, Jaworski, Killough, Agnew working very hard to protect Carniny’s overworked defence of Calderwood, Hagan, McCann, Waring and Armstrong, with McCormack in Carniny’s goal making several excellent saved. Linfield scored their fourth after 60 mins.

Carniny: McCormack, Calderwood, Hagan, Armstrong, McCann, Waring, Price, Agnew, Balmer, Killough, Jaworski, Craig, Godfrey, Kubosik