Mixed fortunes for Carniny sides on a wet weekend

Carniny Amateur and Youth FC young players and coaches currently undertaking their IFA McDonald's Level One Coaching Qualification
Carniny Amateur and Youth FC young players and coaches currently undertaking their IFA McDonald's Level One Coaching Qualification

Surprisingly only two of the club’s games fell victim to the weather last weekend with the U15s and Senior’s matches postponed due to waterlogged pitches.

Once again any joy for the club was seen with the youngest age group with the Under 10 recording a win against Institute at a wet and windy Coleraine Uni in the NWCDYL.

Due to the weather the Under 8s and 9s missed out playing in the Small Sided Games Centres with cancellations at Ballymena Showgrounds on Friday night and Saturday morning. However the FDC continued on Saturday afternoon at an indoor venue.

Under 10s

Carniny Youth 4 – 2 Institute:

Carniny were playing strong and got themselves into action right from the start. L McCorriston, Bell and McPeake were all pressing hard upfront and combining well together. 13 minutes into the match saw Institute get the opening goal when the ball fell in front of the goal line to see them get the first goal of the match.

Tom Wylie then took a long shot at goal to see it just narrowly curl over the crossbar. Two minutes later saw Sam Bell equalise with an excellent shot into the back of the net. Institute though were quick to make it 2 - 1 when McCorriston yet again made another good save only to see the ball fall out of his hands and roll over the line. Carniny kept their heads up and equalised when Tom Wylie made a brilliant finish from a Bell ball.

Second half started 2 - 2 and saw L McCorriston being replaced by Joel Brogan. A fresh Brogan worked hard to make a neat pass across the goal to T Wylie to see him make it 3 - 2. With only a couple of minutes to go before the final whistle was blown Brogan took control and made it 4 - 2.

Carniny Colts 0 – 6 Ballycastle Utd: The Carniny colts started off on another wet and windy day with determination following their 2-0 win last week, but couldn’t keep up with the Ballycastle side as they took an early lead after five minutes. Ballycastle quickly followed their lead with another two goals but also tested the skills of Luke O’Loan who pulled off some brilliant saves for the Carniny Team.

The second half saw the Carniny Colts full of determination however it was in vain as Ballycastle went on to score two more goals in the second half. The weather conditions and an injury for a Carniny player saw the match called to an early finish. The boys played well and should not be disappointed by the result.

Under 13s

Carniny Youth 2 - 3 Ards Youth: Ards opened the scoring after 15 minutes when a free kick from the right wasn’t dealt with in the Carniny box and Ards scored from close range.

It was 2-0 after 22 minutes when Ards big centre forward caused problems in the box. Carniny had a few opportunities to clear the ball but failed to do so and were made to pay as the Ards no 9 stroked the ball home from close range. They were given their rewards when Adams found space in the box and slotted the ball into the corner of the net. Despite Carniny’s dominance Ards made it 3-1 from a corner, scoring again from close range.

The best move of the game gave Carniny a lifeline. Some superb skill from Pogue and Reid found Adams who went through on goal and calmly chipped the keeper.