Busy week for Naomh Comhghall’s men’s and ladies’ teams

Paddy Quinn rises to secure the ball for St Comgall's.
Paddy Quinn rises to secure the ball for St Comgall's.

Naomh Comhghall’s GAC’s senior men’s and ladies’ teams were both in action last week.

ladies were keen to stretch their winning streak to four on Sunday evening when they lined out against Oisin’s Glenariffe.

Niamh Callan, Fiona Poulter and Caitlin Martin apply pressure on Oisin's.

Niamh Callan, Fiona Poulter and Caitlin Martin apply pressure on Oisin's.

They built up a commanding lead in the first half, breaching the Glenariffe defence on five separate occasions with goals. It was a good team performance, with the girls showing steady composure in building from the back, and moving up through gears.

Captain Amanda Riddel had to be replaced, following her exertions early that day fundraising for cancer charity ‘Race for Life’ but her absence didn’t unsettle the home side and they went in at halftime 5-4 to 1-5 to the good.

To their credit Oisin’s came out for the second half really up for the contest, pressing and harrying for possession. Consistently driving quality ball into the scoring zone they pegged back the lead with six unanswered points before St Comgalls replied with a brace of scores.

An outstanding save from net-minder Paige Floyd denied the Glenswomen a certain goal, but two minutes later she could do nothing when they attacked again and raised a green flag. St Comgalls were playing well and doing their best to stem the tide, and a point from Roisin Courtney helped settle nerves before the finish.

Final score Naomh Comhghall 5-7 v 2-12 Oisins Glenariffe


St Comgalls senior mens travelled up the M2 again, this time to face St Malachy’s.

The Antrim men enjoyed a strong 20 mins from the outset, applying real pressure on the home side’s ball, cutting out runners, and suffocating any potential attacks. Dannan O’Hara was giving a typically tenacious display and appeared to be relishing the responsibility of the sweeper role. Gazza Burns was confident between the sticks, and tidied up considerable loose possession.

Ciaran Quinn picked off two outstanding scores from acute angles and 25 and 30 metres out. Paddy Quinn was instrumental in linking play from the engine room in midfield to his half-forward line.

When Miles Devine had tapped over a couple of frees the score at halftime read Naomh Comhghall 0-7 v 0-4 St Malachy’s.

In the second half the expected response came from St Malachy’s with considerable fervour. However, despite up-ing the tempo the men from the Markets were struggling to make it pay on the score-board. Recently returned to fitness Jamesy McLarnon was alert to much of the danger and was showing composure and intelligence in his distribution from the half-back line.

St Comgalls continued to stretch their led, with a notable score from Dylan Murdock, and Paddy Cooke combined with Colm Griffin who took a fine point to close out the win, by 0-14 to 0-7.

Having secured two wins now on the road, the side are looking forward to a home match so why not enjoy the sunshine and bring the kids along to cheer them against Lisburn on Wednesday at 7:30pm.