Randalstown avenge cup defeat by Dungannon

Randalstown Hockey Club.
Randalstown Hockey Club.

Randalstown First XI gained revenge for their defeat by Dungannon in the Denman Ulster Shield earlier in the season when they beat the Tyrone girls 2-1 in the league on Saturday.

The game started off at a very low tempo, and the Dungannon side took full advantage of the slow pace scoring a goal within the first 5 minutes of the match. This however seemed to shock the Randalstown team, as the picked up the pace, the girls had several chances to score and eventually Alex Oligby scored their first goal from a short corner.

Randalstown’s consistent pressure finally paid off with only 5 minutes remaining saw Emma Patterson lob the ball over the Dungannon goal keepers head to conclude the match at 2-1.


Randalstown II 3, Lisnagarvey II 1: The visitors started brightly but it was the Randalstown girls who opened the scoring when quick thinking from captain Miranda Livingston set up Anna Wilson to finish in front of goals.

Lisnagarvey soon levelled but not before Kathryn McCullough made an excellent save off the line from a penalty corner.

Randalstown started the second half determined to get a win and soon took the lead again when Jayne McGrillen slid in to score from Megan Quinn’s reverse stick shot. The win was sealed when Nicole Moore robbed a defender in the circle and calmly slotted home.


Randalstown III 2, Portadown II 0: Ranbdalstown Thirds headed to Edenvilla still chasing their first win of the season and they had to defenda lot of Portadown pressure.

Randalstown kept their cool and capitalised on a good pass from Ruth up the left to Carys Brown who quickly found Megan Lamont on the wing. Holly Steele-Nicholson was waiting in the circle to receive the ball from Lamont and deftly beat the defender to flick the ball past the goalkeeper.

In the second half, Steele-Nicholson again received a well placed ball from midfield, and flicked the ball from the right past the keeper.


Randalstown IV 2, Knock II 2: Randalstown came from 2-0 down at half-time to claim a battling draw.

Lisa Thomas made a strong a run down the centre creating the space for a perfectly placed pass to Laura Elliot setting her free to run through Knocks defence into their circle. Her first shot was saved but Laura’s quick reflexes allowed her to connect with the deflection giving the goalie had no chance of saving.

With two minutes left, Kirsty Clarke led the attack, driving towards the circle she crossed the ball to the forwards. Again it was Laura Elliot who took first shot, which was saved. Then Rachael Atkinson stepped in with a quick reaction connecting with the first deflection which again was saved. This did not deter Rachael who composed herself and perfectly connected with the ball whizzing it into the right hand corner.