Randalstown Dee-lighted after impressive victory

Randalstown RFC.
Randalstown RFC.

Randalstown romped home with a bonus point 45-5 win away to Donaghadee on Saturday afternoon and remain in fourth place in Qualifying 2.

Peter Knowles stormed over in the early stages after some good work by the backs. This was followed by some excellent inter-passing to give young centre Chris Donnelly the opportunity to race in for a second try which Dan McGlade converted to make the score 12-0 in favour of the visitors after 10 minutes.

Within a few minutes and for the second week in succession the robust Scott Stevenson crashed over in the corner to give Randalstown a 17-0 lead. As the half progressed the Dee came back into the game and scored a well taken try to make the half time score 5-17.

After half time Randalstown took control of the game with tries from Donnelly, Stevenson, Turner, and Niall McGlade to make the final score 45-5 in favour to the visitors. All credit to the home side who never gave up and continued to play their part in an entertaining game.

This Saturday the 1sts entertain league leaders Carrick and hopefully the good run of form will continue.

The game is preceded by a pre-match lunch.

Some spaces are still available and anyone wishing to attend should contact Adie Johnston (adie_johnston@hotmail.com) to reserve a place.


Randalstown II 74, Donaghadee II 13: Meanwhile back at Neillsbrook the second XV entertained Donaghadee 2nds and romped home by a large margin.

First on the scoresheet was Mark Strange with barely 2 minutes on the clock. Murray’s conversion attempt bounced back off the crossbar.

Minutes later young hooker Gareth Pollin crossed out wide and this time the conversion hit the upright but managed to fall on the right side to notch up the extras.

McLean barged over to stretch the home lead. With 20 minutes on the clock ‘Town were in again for their bonus point try. Ferry made a great break and Strange in support was held up agonisingly close but McWhirter was able to pick up and nip in close to the posts.

Donaghadee’s efforts were rewarded with a couple of penalties and a converted try but Conor Ferry was on hand to barge through the visitors defence and touch down.

Strange nipped in for his brace, quickly followed by Johnny Fullerton then Connor Murray to notch up the half century.

Fullback McCrory added his name to the scoresheet with a well deserved try and the next one went to Pollin.

Ferry then grabbed his brace as he barged over to the left of the posts before Murray ran in for the final score of the game.