Trip proves a ‘bridge too far for Randalstown

Randalstown RFC.
Randalstown RFC.

Randalstown 1sts travelled to Banbridge on Saturday to play the second of their four Conference league fixtures against AIL 2nd XVs, losing out by 24 points to 19.

The game started with Randalstown on the attack and Banbridge holding out in defence, however it was the home side that opened the scoring with a well struck penalty.

This setback seemed to spur the visitors into action and a number of good passing movements allowed Jamie Orr to crash over for a try in the corner.

Two Randalstown penalties from Daniel McGlade gave them an 11-3 lead with half an hour gone but Banbridge closed the gap with a converted try to make the half time score 10-11 in favour of the visitors.

The second half saw Banbridge take their chances and from looked a knock-on, they scored a converted try to take the lead. As the game continued the home side took control of a loose ball and their winger scored a second try under the posts which was converted.

In the last few minutes of the game Randalstown began to put together a number of attacking movements and it was from one of these that Phil McClean sprinted over in the corner.

The 1st XV now have a few weeks off before their next Qualifying league match against Grosvenor.


Rainey OB III 23, Randalstown II 8: Randalstown 2nds made the short journey to Rainey on Saturday afternoon with high hopes of breaking their duck this season to date.

In the early stages the home pack were rumbling down the park at will, to such an extent that they spurned an early kickable penalty opportunity in favour of a lineout.

‘Town at that stage showed their prowess in defence and kept them out so they wisely opted in favour of the points minutes later to go 3-0 up.

It was nip and tuck for another 20 minutes until Turner slotted over a timely drop goal to level the scores but almost immedaitely Randalstown gave away another penalty in front of the posts.

As half time approached a bulky Rainey forward ran almost the length of the pitch, stopped a metre short by Mawhinney, but the attempted clearance was charged down and touched down to give the home side an 11-3 advantage at half time.

There followed another series of fumbles, knock ons and missed tackles until Rainey ground ‘Town down and scored a converted try midway through the half.

‘Town camped in the home 22 for a goodly length of time and could have been over the line a couple of times before McGarry took a pass out wide and touched down for what was to be a consolation score.

The final points of the game were recorded by the home side with another well taken try to see them run out 23-8 winners.